Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data recovery from broken Android tablet possible?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:52 AM

I have never worked on a tablet before, can anyone tell me how to recover data from this HP Touchpad's HDD please? Far as the owner knows, it powers on but no video.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,287 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:57 AM

I remember this device. It launched and then HP stopped sales after a few months.  It uses NAND flash RAM for storage, no hard drive. Good Luck.

You can see the specs here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_TouchPad#Android

#3 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,556 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 10:02 AM

It's my cousin's first tablet so I am hoping I can help him out somehow, appreciate the info.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,287 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 11:01 AM

When you say it is broken, do you mean it does not turn on. I found this on youtube. Not sure if it will help or not.

Edit: It is a hard reset but the uploader says the data is still retained. I can't confirm that though.

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 December 2015 - 11:02 AM.

#5 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,556 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 11:20 AM

Yes, does not turn on but waiting on my cousin to bring the cable.

#6 CharlieWilliam

CharlieWilliam

• Banned Spammer
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:53 AM

Yes, I think it is possible to recover data from your broken tablet, you can plug your HP Touchpad into computer with cable, and recover your data from your PC.

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,498 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 29 December 2015 - 04:12 AM

Maybe you can buy a screen replacement. The 32Gbyte storage is soldered on chip. Not sure if there is any type of JTAG connectors to pull all the data off it.

Found some steps to crack it open..here

#8 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,556 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:54 AM

Thanks for the info, still waiting on the cousin.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,598 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:35 AM

Every Android device I've ever dealt with allows itself to be used as though it were an external drive when plugged in to a PC.  All smartphones I've ever owned (all LG models) do this as a matter of course.

I can't imagine you won't have direct access to the user data and be able to copy off whatever you like.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#10 LindseyThompson

LindseyThompson

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:17 AM

Solution 1: First of all, if your phone won't turn on at all, restart it by pressing the Power key for 10 seconds. If the problem still remains, try the second method.

Solution 2: Sometimes your phone does not switch on just because it is run out of power. Having it charged for a couple of hours and see whether it goes back to the normal state. If this measure still doesn’t work, try the final one.

Solution 3: Press the Volume Up, Power and Home button simultaneously to boot the device into Recovery Mode. Scroll down the main menu via Volume key and select "Factory reset/Wipe data" by pressing Power button.
Note: The third method will delete all the data stored in your phone if you haven't backed them up before.

#11 poread

poread

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:50 AM

I don't know whether it can or not, maybe you can use Broken Android Data Extraction tool to help you do the data recovery from broken Android tablet. And it may be possible to get them back. Usually, data like contacts, text messages, photos, videos, etc can be easily recovered. Good luck to you. 

#12 resa70

resa70

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:19 AM

you can try DiskDigger Pro file recovery apk app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.defianttech.diskdiggerpro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users