Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help me understand this “Windows 10 Gets 'Free' Upgrade Rule Change” arti

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 07:51 AM

Please help me understand this “Windows 10 Gets 'Free' Upgrade Rule Change” article

I’m in favor of upgrading to Windows 10 but have so many variations and descriptions on what to do depending on the situation: and is it really a rule change? I need help to put this information in perspective.

Windows 10 Gets 'Free' Upgrade Rule Change

Windows 10 Gets 'Free' Upgrade Rule Change

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/12/22/windows-10-free-upgrade-key/?utm_campaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix

Some excerpts are

“Windows 10 now has support for version upgrades as well as Windows 7 and Windows 8 licence keys.”

--- I have Windows 7 Home Premium: does that mean I’ll need to enter it’s product key?

“So what is this product key and how does it work? Here are the steps:

Go to ‘Change Product Key’ (easily found by typing this into Cortana)

--- I guess I’ll have to understan how Cortana works before I do my Win7 HP to Win10 Home upgrade.

Enter the ‘free’ Microsoft key: VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T”

“Microsoft is freely giving out the key it stresses this only permits the upgrade to be carried out, it doesn’t give you a free copy – that still needs to be Activated and that then prompts the user for payment.”

--- How to get around the request for payment?

“An additional caveat is users will need to be running Windows 10 version 1511”

--- This part I understand but include it for the current situation

“there is a lot of potential giving Windows 10 the ability to respond to a new kind of product key.”

--- I don’t know what “a new kind of product key” means.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 08:35 AM

If you are just upgrading from Win 7 Home to Win 10 Home, you do it the same way it has always been done, for free. If, after you are running Win 10 1511 Home, you want to upgrade the version to Pro, you follow Gordon Kelly's instructions and pay $99.

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 11:16 AM

Reading that entire article, it has absolutely no bearing on you or your situation or any of your questions. It is a whole different ball of wax.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,594 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 11:44 AM

Ed Bott wrote an article on that today, if it can help you understand better.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/going-pro-how-to-upgrade-windows-10-home-without-hassles/

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:29 PM

Aura thanks for that link you provided. It's much more understandable than the article I questioned.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,594 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:43 PM

No problem cmptrgy, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 06:17 PM

Previously to 1511 when you upgraded from an activated Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 WIndows 10 would install and be activated Win 7 or WIn 8.1 was verified as being activated. Windows created a hash number based on your pc hardware and stored it on a windows server. No real key is being used for Windows 10 upgrade. No it you purchase the full package (not upgrade) either OEM or retail it will come with a Windows 10 key. Build 1511 release allows you to do a clean install of WIndows 10 without having to verify Win 7 or 8.1 during the upgrade. 1511 allows you to enter the WIndows 7 or 8.1 key to start the clean install of Windows 10.

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 07:38 PM

Although that might be true, that is not what either one of the articles is about.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:58 PM

Although that might be true, that is not what either one of the articles is about.

No but the article talks about activation and this is how you activate.

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users