Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help configuring router to switch to patch panel. No internet signal.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Dizzy14

Dizzy14

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 07:00 AM

My entire house is wired up with Cat6. Everything is punched down to a siemons patch panel. The wiring has been tested and it is correctly installed. I can't seem to get an internet connection to any of the jacks in the house unless I plug the patch cord from the panel directly into the cable modem. If I try to use my router and/or switch I don't get a connection to the jacks around the house. I have tried plugging directly into my Linksys E3000 router (I use for the wireless network) from the patch panel and that does not get me internet signal. I have tried from patch panel to my Netgear GS116v2h2 switch and fed the switch via the router, but still no connection. I am not very knowledgeable with router/switch configuration. Is there something I need to configure internally on the devices or should this be a simple plug and play set up? Thanks for the help! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 11:58 AM

All patches go from ports to the switch.  A single line goes from switch to a lan port in the router.  Routers wan port connects to the modem. 

This is the correct series of setup.

Router should be doing dhcp for the lan so any connected device will get a ip address.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users