Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstalling PDF Architect 4

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 12:29 AM

I've been using PDF Creator from pdfforge.org for a very long time now and still like it quite a bit better than many programs' (e.g., MS-Office's) save as PDF options.

The other day when updating PDF Creator I accidentally forgot to uncheck one of the boxes I should have and ended up installing PDF Architect 4.  I have installed one earlier version of PDF Architect unintentionally but that time the conventional uninstall in Programs and Features showed up.  This time no such luck.

This program runs a number of background processes and I do not use it and really want to get rid of it, but have no idea how.  There is no uninstall program that I can locate in its program files folder, either.

If anyone knows how to fully and gracefully uninstall this program would you please share?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:03 AM

You could try REVO Uninstaller. http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Download the free version.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#3 Terry-S

Terry-S

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:55 AM

Hey Britechguy,

I landed on this page after searching for this as well, was about to report that piece of software as malicious.

As this page is top in google search results, let me tell you what did it for me.

I've searched for an uninstaller too on the installation folder, none to be found.

Revo uninstaller didn't find this application either.

Then I came across this information, telling me that PDF architect 4 uses the installer as uninstaller.

So I went back to their download page, fired up the installer which told me the application is installed.

Don't close that installer, because at the bottom, a magic "uninstall" button appears.

After running that, I don't get a notion of that program in context menu's anymore.

Note: if it won't let you uninstall immediatly, try fully installing it again (some files might have gotten corrupted or been lost).

After uninstalling, make sure to run something like CCleaner to remove trailing bits of junk (especially the register has some entries for this application).

Keep running the register cleanup until you stop seeing entries needing to be cleaned.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,827 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 08:58 PM

Terry-S,

This now feels like ancient history, but I did contact the support folks at PDF Forge and got a canned response that ignored the very complaint I made and that I had taken every step that they'd recommended before making the support inquiry.  After having read them the riot act (and it was in a businesslike manner, pure ranting at support doesn't get you far) I got the following back in response (on Christmas, actually):

Thank you for contacting the customer service team. Please accept our apologies if you are experiencing difficulties.

To resolve the issue,  please follow the link listed below to successfully remove the program from your computer.

http://files.lulusoft.com/pub/pdfarchitect4/removal/Architect_Remover_1.0.7.25584.exe

The noted program worked like a charm to get rid of this program from my system.  Since it seems others are still suffering I hope it will be of help to them, too.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#5 Jooszephine

Jooszephine

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 13 October 2016 - 02:53 AM

Thx britechguy, link worked perfectly

Edited by Jooszephine, 13 October 2016 - 02:54 AM.

#6 pistachoo

pistachoo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:16 PM

Thanks britechguy!!

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,827 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:38 AM

By the way, even though we're now up to PDF Architect 5 (and PDF Creator 5) the above uninstaller will work.

If you wish to prevent the installation of PDF Architect in the first place if you're installing PDF Creator make sure to choose "Expert Mode" on the first screen of the setup for PDF Creator.  That way you will be given the option of unchecking PDF Architect, declining the nag "Are you sure?", and unchecking the offer for bundled adware protection software that's now being shipped with PDF Creator.

One must be eternally vigilant these days if one elects to use any free software.  It seems that the loathsome practice of bundling has become ubiquitous and you can't ever use the "fast install" options if you wish to avoid getting all sorts of junk you don't want along with the program that you do want.

~ Mark Twain

#8 Flo_

Flo_

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:40 AM

Hey, 

Florian from pdfforge support here.

Please do not use the Architect_Remover Tool prior to the built-in uninstaller. If you can't find the uninstall record (control panel -> programs and features) for PDF Architect, please download the installer for the installed version from our website and use it to uninstall PDF Architect and its components. 

Since the Removal Tool was designed as a workaround for a certain bug (no uninstall record) in PDF Architect 4 it might just corrupt the installation of PDF Architect 5 without uninstalling the software. (at least it did that for me)

Also, I would like to tell you that you actually do not have to choose "expert settings" to avoid the installation of PDF Architect or any software from our advertising partners.

However, it is true that you have to uncheck PDF Architect in "select components" and decline the installation in a second window in order to reject the installation of PDF Architect.

We really appreciate your help @britechguy and @Terry-S. 

Best regards,

Flo

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,827 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:03 AM

Flo,

I agree, entirely, that one should not use the remover tool if a conventional uninstall option is available via Control Panel or the Start Menu.

I was one of those for whom the "no uninstall record" bug must have been present because I had no option whatsoever that would have allowed a conventional uninstall of PDF Architect 4 back in December 2015.

As a general rule one should not use uninstaller programs if a conventional uninstall method is available.

~ Mark Twain

#10 Thierry-France

Thierry-France

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2017 - 03:41 AM

Target: removing PDF Architect 5 Plugin that came from... I don't know!

Hello!

As there is no built in tool available for removing PDF Architect 5 Plugin which brings troubles in PDF Architect 4, has someone information about that... may be a solution?

I tried to uninstall all PDF Architect products to reinstall only what I want so I used the built in uninstaller for PDF Architect 4 - working - and try to use 'Architect_Remover Tool' for PDF Architect 5 but it is not in proposed software to be removed?!

May I have your help?

Many thanks

Thierry

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,827 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2017 - 12:02 PM

Thierry,

I would advise you to write to the folks at PDFforge if the PDF Architect5 installer/uninstaller is not completely uninstalling PDF Architect 5 and/or all associated plug-ins. 

That's how I got my information way back when.  The information posted by Flo_ suggests that the installer itself can be used as the uninstaller.  If you have done an actual uninstall via Windows and the plug-ins are not gone then I would let PDFforge know and ask for advice.

~ Mark Twain

#12 Thierry-France

Thierry-France

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 02:28 AM

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your advise. I try both: standard uninstaller and the tool from PDFforge... nothing worked.

So i went through the Registery (RegEdit) and cleaned all the references to PDF Architect, a bit long but it worked.

Then I was able to reinstall PDFArchitect 4 properly.

Thanks again for your responsiveness.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users