Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 and IE 8

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Atty.1973

Atty.1973

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 12:05 AM

My OS is Windows 7 Hm. Prem. (64) Serv. Pk. 1 using IE 8. Support for IE 8 ends 1-12-'16. Do I need to upgrade to IE 11 or can I just leave and ignore IE 8 the way it is without the support. My default browser and home page is Chrome and except for the automatic part of IE, I don't use IE for anything. I'm not crazey about IE and 11 seems to make things worse in all to many cases. Risks ??? HELP !!! Thanks !!! . :bananas:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 23 December 2015 - 02:45 AM.
Removed e-mail address to protect from spambots and moved to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 12:25 AM

Hi Atty,

It's best to disable IE completely if you don't use, malware can still exploit it's vulnerabilities in some instances. To do this:

• click the Windows button
  • Control Panel
  • Programs and Features
  • Turn Windows features on or off (from the pane on the left)
  • uncheck Internet Explorer from the list and OK
  • restart

This should solve the majority of the issues associated with it.

TsVk!

#3 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:09 AM

I would, even though you won't be using it, still update it to the latest version for Win 7. I also dislike IE, don't use it unless I have to, but have it installed regardless. 

You can download it from Microsoft here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/internet-explorer-11-for-windows-7-details.aspx

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:44 AM

I concur with saw101.  There are those occasions when one simply must use IE (yes, they're rare, but I've had sites [e.g., some banks]) that insisted on IE.  You really, really don't want to continue using IE8 at this stage of the game for any reason.

It is fairly straightforward to upgrade, even if you don't use IE often [or at all, if possible], and at least that lets you have a reasonably decent version available to you.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 10:13 AM

One can even set or un-set IE to automatically update.  I have mine not to automatically update, I'll do it manually.

As Britechguy indicated - keep it in mint condition, there are a few web sites that run only with IE.  What I do not know: if IE  is disabled, does that affect anything that is found within IE's Internet Options.  IO appears to be the ruling party.

Edited by RolandJS, 23 December 2015 - 10:14 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users