Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Cycle

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 codsmith

codsmith

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:30 AM

I have a very weird problem.

I have a dell inspiron 5100 notebook w/ XP pro and I was searching different sites for my research paper when I came to a site that locked my computer up. I tried everything to get it to turn off before pulling the plug. Now for some reason when I try to turn it on it will just cycle and take me to the setup menu telling me that it might have been a power problem or something else. When I try to select to run in safe mode, normal, last know good config, etc. it acts like it is about to boot and shows the windows xp loading screen and then it restarts and does the same thing.

It will boot from the CD but im not sure what I need to do after I boot from the cd drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 05:36 AM

I think the fact that you were on a specific site is only a coincidence.

Was the notebook running on battery or plugged in when this occurred?

In any case - can you get to a command prompt?

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:56 PM

Since it will boot from the CD, the simplest thing is a repair installation of Windows XP. Here's a link on how to do it: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

If this is a computer from a major manufacturere it may not have an XP CD to work with - in that case, check the computer manual for instructions on system recovery and a repair/non-destructive system recovery.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users