Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT - MURPHY'S LAW

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 22 December 2015 - 08:09 PM

I hope someone can help me.   I was just finishing an email I have been working on for weeks in draft form.   FINALLY I FINISHED IT and it was a perfection it took forever to compile.   I went to the end of the document and there were too stray lines at the bottom to delete.   I highlighted them and hit the back key.

apparently off the screen out of my view the whole thing had been highlighted and its gone.

A minute before I was so relieved, finally my hard work paid off and another minute later and I am crestfallen to say the least.

IS THERE ANY CACHE FILE OR SOMETHING I CAN FIND SOMEWHERE?

I'M SOOOOO SOOOOOO AMAZED AT MURPHY'S LAW STRIKING ME WHEN IT DID

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 22 December 2015 - 08:17 PM

Recuva 

Use the free version. No need to pay.

I believe emails are a  pst  file

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,894 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 22 December 2015 - 08:20 PM

Did you try a simple Ctrl+Z (Undo)?  If the last thing you did was to delete everything then Undo will generally Undo that.  There is often some degree of "nested Undo" that will let you step back a couple of actions.  However, you cannot have closed out of the given program in question or that's that.

If you are working on a document such as this it is far wiser to work on it in your word processor the entire time it's in drafting and to copy & paste it into your e-mail program at the end.

I feel your pain.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#4 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 08:23 PM

I forgot to say I was on my Mac computer when IT HAPPENED.

right now I'm just sick and need to get my mind back together

do any of the fixes apply to Mac?

Edited by JayJax, 22 December 2015 - 08:24 PM.

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 22 December 2015 - 08:31 PM

Recuva for Mac

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#6 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 10:56 PM

Did you try a simple Ctrl+Z (Undo)?  If the last thing you did was to delete everything then Undo will generally Undo that.  There is often some degree of "nested Undo" that will let you step back a couple of actions.  However, you cannot have closed out of the given program in question or that's that.

If you are working on a document such as this it is far wiser to work on it in your word processor the entire time it's in drafting and to copy & paste it into your e-mail program at the end.

I feel your pain.

thanks for your suggestions and empathy :cherry: I'm still working here

#7 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 11:01 PM

now I'm confused on two fronts.    First of all, I tried to sign in on my account here on BC (I also tried a few days ago to log on to my Firefox account from my MAC) both times and both places I used the same name and password as I do on my laptop and her on BC and on Firefox I can't log in - it says its the wrong name/password. It would be easier since Mac is where I lost the email to work from there with BC but guess that's not possible.

Anyway I downloaded Recuva for Mac but it says that its only for Windows and then recommends another program, Wonderworks I think (I'm on my laptop now) and though it says Wonderworks on the File it appears to be just another copy of Recuva so I'm not sure where I am on this - the wonderworks is FREE TO TRY but I guess I can't try it - how could it say Wonderworks but then everything else is still Recuva?

THIS IS ONE OF THOSE DAYS ---- thanks for trying to help

Edited by JayJax, 22 December 2015 - 11:01 PM.

#8 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 11:06 PM

I feel your pain.

thanks for your suggestions and empathy :cherry: I'm still working here

NOW I'M EVEN MORE CONFUSED - when I clicked on the link you provided from my Mac computer it popped up a file that says Recuva is not for MACS only windows.

DISREGARD THIS = BOTH PLACES IT SAYS FOR wINDOWS ONLY. - I was just reading the title and not the info. - its not for MAC

but I still have the question about why when I attempt to download the alternative free to try program all I get is another copy of Recuva.

I gotta take a break this whole day has been a disaster  I STILL DON'T KNOW WHY I CAN LOG onto my profile here on BC on my windows laptop but the same info will not log me onto my mac.

Edited by JayJax, 22 December 2015 - 11:13 PM.

#9 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:23 AM

I feel your pain.

I just wanted to pass along that the email server I was using was AOL and for some reason unknown to me they had a link to contact them which I did - describing the problem and within 2 days or so they were able to recover my mail for about a 3-week time period which really was impressive - most email providers you can't get hold of directly at all and even indirectly is such a circuitous way its not worthy the trouble.    I did get close to the version of the document I needed and I just wanted to give a THUMBS UP to AOL for going above and beyond for free email account.

#10 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:26 AM

Thanks for your advice - wanted to leave with you a thumbs-up for AOL email server / free account - they were able to recover about 3 weeks worth of my email which is way more than I would ever get from Gmail or Yahoo - no way to contact them whatsoever about a free account  HURRAY  in this case for AOL - I was impressed.

#11 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:35 AM

They were able to recover a draft email which you had deleted the contents off? That's extremely impressive and scary at the same time..

#12 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 03:00 PM

They were able to recover a draft email which you had deleted the contents off? That's extremely impressive and scary at the same time..

It's been awhile since this happened so I have forgotten all the details contained in my final document since it got deleted so quickly on finishing it.   What they recovered are various versions of the document/email throughout the hours preceding it being deleted so while I don't think its EXACTLY the final one it is close - I was just impressed first of all that I could send them a direct email (most go to great pains to be unreachable) and that their response was so quick.  Also that they were able to comprehend the problem and respond without the need for clarification.   Someone actually put on their thinking cap.   So often responses (if you get one) leave doubt your initial complaint/problem was ever even read - usually they just ask for clarification.

In this day when everyone plays hide and seek - it was a nice change.   It bothers me how manufacturers of computers like Hewlett Packard are ready and available to answer questions but once you place an order for one of their products its a whole other story where you find out that CUSTOMER SERVICE HELP is for people who haven't placed an order.  I guess the thinking after that is that they GOTCHA so no need to be nice.

Edited by JayJax, 07 January 2016 - 03:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users