Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Wiped (or Hid) Non-C:\ Files Overnight

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RitualGhoul

RitualGhoul

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:24 PM

Hello all if you can help or point me in the right direction with this issue I would be grateful. I've dealt with many computer issues by myself, and even built my own computer. But I'm shocked as to what happened over night. I was woken up by windows 10 installing something, and I simply ignored it and went back to sleep; though the installation process looked exactly like the initial windows 10 installation process when I upgraded.

When I turned on my computer this afternoon I was surprised to see that all of my settings have been reset. My internet connection doesn't work, all non-program files and other stuff that's supposed to be under my C: drive have been deleted OR hidden. I decided to search to see if some of my music was still on my computer as my music folder was appearing empty, when I did that the music folder showed all of my music again.

So, long story short: It appears that all of my non C: drive folders have been hidden from me (documents, desktop documents, pictures, downloads, you name it). When I do searches this files turn up under the search. Furthermore I cannot connect to the internet at all, I am posting this from my trusty laptop, it appears that when I try to connect to the internet all connections are hidden from me, much like my files.

Further information: My microsoft restore was disabled and all restore points appear to have been deleted. What's more interesting is that when I open CMD It shows me as being logged into a temporary account. Now, I never had any other accounts on my computer, just one, it has no passwords or anything.

I have no evidence to prove that this is a virus, however given that almost everything was a fresh install close to 5 months ago I don't think this is a hardware issue since that's when I put together the computer.

Anyway, I've never dealt with a situation like this before. I'm going to continue looking for answers, though I figured it would be a good idea to post on here just in case I can't figure it out.

Thank you to anyone who chooses to try and help me out, I greatly appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,676 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:30 PM

Do you see any of your non C: partitions in Disk Management?

#3 RitualGhoul

RitualGhoul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:34 PM

Not sure if these count, but this is what I see.

a HDD icon with no name next to it, it appears to be a recovery partition that is 100% free.

and SYSTEM which is 65% free. I assume those two are normal though.

Edit: Aside from that I just restarted my computer and I've got my entire desktop back. I have a feeling this whole fiasco was a bad windows update. Thanks microsoft. The only thing that's strange now is that my entire desktop background is black instead of the one I had put on there. I'll do a few virus scans and if anything comes up I'll post on this thread again as it may be related.

Edited by RitualGhoul, 22 December 2015 - 05:47 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,676 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:48 PM

Open a command prompt and type the following

diskpart     This will open the diskpart command window

list disk

select disk X   where X is your Windows disk.   Does this computer has only one hard drive?

list volume

Post the output. You can click on the little icon in the menu bar. Edit > Select All. Edit > Copy. Paste into a text file and save to a flash drive.

How many non C: Drives did you originally have? I am going on the hunch that is was a Windows 10 problem and not an infection. 

#5 RitualGhoul

RitualGhoul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 06:05 PM

Aye. I think you're right. Just another thing in the mixed bag of problems with this operating system. Thanks for your help and patience regardless.

Yeah this computer only has one harddrive. It has an old HP partition that is there from when I took it from my old computer.

Not sure I completely understand your instructions, but when I do list disk it shows DIsk 0 with a size of 1.3 TB and 0Bytes Free. Which is weird. Other than that it appears that everything else was a weird windows 10 update issue. Restarting solved everything. Probably should've thought of that from the get go, I suppose I was too surprised. Thank you for your assistance and I hope you have a great evening or night.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,676 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 06:16 PM

0 bytes free does is not good but I would like to see the output of list volume.

After you select Disk 0 then do a list volume as I previously posted. You can copy the output to a text file, copy it to a flash drive then copy and paste the contents in your next post. 

That would give me a better idea of what is going on. If you could post a screenshot that would be okay too.

How many non C: partitions did you create on the computer? I am assuming you want the data on these partitions that are missing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users