Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two Xp Machines, Same Wired Connection, Way Different Results

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chuckrox8

Chuckrox8

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:02 AM

I have a P4 2.5ghz machine with an intel 10/100 ethernet card I believe. My machine is only 2 years old. I borrowed my brother's laptop today and unplugged my desktop and hooked the laptop up. I decided to randomly run a speed test and got about 6000kbps down and 400up. I never received results like that on my desktop. I downloaded the Firefox setup file from mozilla.com at 700KB/s on the laptop. So I decided to see what was up with my desktop. Using the same Cat5e wire and same jack I ran the same test on my desktop machine and only got 1200kbps down and 300up. 5x is a serious difference and I am trying to figure out why this is happening. I also downloaded the same Firefox setup file and only got 87KB/s which is only like 700kbps!!!!??? I had no p2p programs running and the only programs using bandwidth were the speed tests themselves. What is going on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 11:31 PM

varied negeotiables you have. what speedtest did you use? are you on a shared netwrok, anybody else on another computer downloading at that time? what was the time span between the tests? what time of day did you test it? do you have any firewalls (software) on either computer? which antivirus programs are being used?

your other question. why only 87KB? some web servers/ftp servers have a good upload bandwidth, some have a smaller bandwidth. the more downloads at a time, the smaller each computer's download bandwidth becomes regardless of the download pipe capability. as i memtioned in an earlier post asus's US server has a bleeping bad UL, but google has a decent one, so you will notice a big difference between websites.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 Chuckrox8

Chuckrox8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2006 - 12:10 AM

No firewalls or concurrent downloads on any computers but the ones I was testing. I used the same speed test on speakeasy and then one on dslreports for both computers and recieved the same results. I download the firefox setup file from the same server. I've been using my computer for a while and the most I've ever seen my download rate is ~300KB/s. But to use another computer off the same jack and line and recieve 700KB/s? Something weird. Plus the laptop's ethernet card is much older. Could I have improperly installed the drivers for my ethernet controller and it is somewhat corrupted?

#4 Chuckrox8

Chuckrox8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 01:00 AM

Bump. This problem intrigues me.

#5 decepticon

decepticon

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 15 August 2006 - 04:29 PM

Sounds like adware or spyware to me. Try looking at your tcp/ip connections via XNetstat or something of the like. If you see something that is accessing the net without you specifically running it, then more than likely it is some sort of hijacker or spy/ad/mal-ware.

One other thing. Is your network card on the original desktop running in full or half duplex? This can also slow down your connection speeds. And you are absolutley sure that the desktop NIC is a 10/100. I recently discovered that he NIC I was using is a 10Mbit card, which in turn slowed my connection to my router.

Speaking of routers, are you using one? Is ther any type of filtering going on? MAC filtering could be a reason why your desktop is getting slower speeds and the laptop is going *full* speed.

Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users