Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Shouldn't Have Upgraded: "System Thread Exception Not Handled" Error

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 techgnosis

techgnosis

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:48 PM

I kept getting encouragements from Microsoft and IT guys to upgrade to Windows 10.  Unfortunately, I did not check with Dell whether they recommend the upgrade.  It turns out that Dell does not recommend my model (XPS 8500) to be upgraded to Windows 10. 

I went through the upgrade 2 days ago and yesterday I ended up with "System Thread Exception Not Handled" error.  One of the solutions for resolving this error, after much googling, is to download Win 10 drivers from Dell.  Well, that's how I found that Dell doesn't recommend it.  There are no drivers.  Here's exactly what Dell says:

Product not tested for Windows 10 upgrade

Dell is not testing or developing Windows 10 drivers for this product. If you choose to upgrade, some features, applications, and connected devices may not work as expected.

I' stuck in a loop with this error message and can't load. 

At this point, what is my best option?  How would I undo the upgrade?  I get the feeling if I choose to stay with Win 10, I would be beset by a slew of compatibility issues which I would rather not encounter.  Thanks for any advices.

===============

My Specs::

(1) Dell XPS 8500; 3.4 GHz; 12 Gb RAM; 64-bit OS; 2 Tb HD

(2) Windows 8.1 2013; Kaspersky Total Security 2015 15.0.1.415©. 

Edited by hamluis, 22 December 2015 - 05:01 PM.
Moved from Win 10 Discussion to W10 Support - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,642 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:55 PM

At what stage in the game does this error occur?  If you've got any functioning Windows 10 time I'd suggest taking a look in Device Manager to see what devices you have and then look at their manufacturers' websites to see if any have updated drivers for Windows 10.

If you did the upgrade via GWX or the Media Creation Tool ISO you should have a Windows.old folder and the option in Update & Security to go back to your old version of Windows.  This is good for 30 days (and if you back up the Windows.old file there are ways you can roll back for even more time, but don't count on that).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:19 PM

And, there are no restorable previous OS backups?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 techgnosis

techgnosis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:28 PM

This happened 1 day after I upgraded.  I used the Windows 10 reminder button which kept bugging for over a month.  I talked to 1 IT guy at my office who raved about how great Window 10 is and just trusted his word without checking to see my PC may not be the most compatible one.

It was a free Windows 10 upgrade that keeps nudging you and reminding you to upgrade.  My work is too important to me so at this point, my thinking is, it's not worth taking chances on compatibility issues when Dell isn't issuing any Win 10 drivers for my machine.  At least that's my thinking.  Should I switch back?  If so, would there be an easy option to switch back? 

I get the typical blue screen with: Continue; Troubleshoot; Turn Off Pc.  If I continue/troubleshoot, it will eventually go into a loop where I can't load.

At what stage in the game does this error occur?  If you've got any functioning Windows 10 time I'd suggest taking a look in Device Manager to see what devices you have and then look at their manufacturers' websites to see if any have updated drivers for Windows 10.

If you did the upgrade via GWX or the Media Creation Tool ISO you should have a Windows.old folder and the option in Update & Security to go back to your old version of Windows.  This is good for 30 days (and if you back up the Windows.old file there are ways you can roll back for even more time, but don't count on that).

#5 techgnosis

techgnosis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:31 PM

My machine came with Win 8.1 installed. I suppose there are backup disks or if not I can download by logging onto MyDell. I guess the issue is having already loaded Win 10, is it easy to uninstall Win 10 and then reinstall 8.1?  I imagine Microsoft rid the machine of Win 8.1 in order to install 10?

And, there are no restorable previous OS backups?

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,642 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:38 PM

techgnosis,

I still am not clear:  Do you ever boot into Windows 10 at all or is this loop immediately upon trying to boot into Windows 10, never allowing you to get there.

If you actually do get into Windows 10 and have even a brief, meaning 5 to 10 minutes, period of operational time you should be able to go into Update & Security settings and use the Recovery pane to trigger the "Go back to Windows 8.1" option.

If you cannot, the issue becomes thornier.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 techgnosis

techgnosis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:47 PM

No, I don't boot into Win 10 at all. This seems to be a common problem and if you google, a fair amount of people encounter this.  In fact, the monitor goes into Power Save mode when I turn the computer on.  Only like after 5 minutes, do I see the error message and the above menus that takes me into a loop. You're saying I should try to get into Win 10 perhaps even in Safe Mode and then maybe go into Recovery?

techgnosis,

I still am not clear:  Do you ever boot into Windows 10 at all or is this loop immediately upon trying to boot into Windows 10, never allowing you to get there.

If you actually do get into Windows 10 and have even a brief, meaning 5 to 10 minutes, period of operational time you should be able to go into Update & Security settings and use the Recovery pane to trigger the "Go back to Windows 8.1" option.

If you cannot, the issue becomes thornier.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,642 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 06:19 PM

techgnosis,

I'd try reinstalling the appropriate version of Windows 10 (32/64-bit Home/Pro depending on what version of Win8.1 you had and hardware you have) again using media you create using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool on another machine and either burning it to DVD or creating a bootable USB drive.  I am not sure whether there is a "Go back to your previous version of Windows" option via this method, as I've never tried it, but there might be if a recovery option is presented.

You could have a bad install of Windows 10 or you could have a system so unsuited to it that there's nothing you'll be able to do to make it work with Windows 10.  If no recovery options are presented someone else on another thread mentioned that Microsoft provides free support if issues result from Windows Update or the Windows 10 Upgrade process.  The number they quoted is:  877-254-4698.   It couldn't hurt to at least check if they have any guidance to give you.

Keep us posted.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 22 December 2015 - 06:21 PM

And, there are no restorable Windows 8.x backups?  No full-image OS backups?  Do you have your data partition backed up?  Or, at least, the folders and files that contain your data?  Thorny-trail potentially possibly lead to ReInstall.

Addendum:  I see Britechguy and I posted at the same time.

Edited by RolandJS, 22 December 2015 - 06:22 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 06:33 PM

If your computer was delivered with Windows 8.1 installed, the key is embedded in firmware. You can pull it using FirmwareTables View. It is listed under the MSDM table. Then download Windows 8.1 here. Windows 8.1 should automatically activate once online. In fact you should be able to simply skip the window asking for a key and continue the install. Windows 8.1 is supported until 2023 which is another 7 years. Sometimes it best to cut your losses and revert back to your old OS.

http://www.nextofwindows.com/firmwaretablesview-to-retrieve-windows-8-1-product-key-from-bios

If you need any data on the computer you can pull it using a live linux disk.

#11 techgnosis

techgnosis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 10:24 AM

Thanks so much for comments guys. I tried the MS Media Creation Tool, copied that to a CD and tried to boot from there.  Nothing.  Then called that Microsoft line -- apparently that number is dedicated to Dell computer users; they don't recommend upgrading to Windows 10 (Well, then, why was I enticed into upgrading for crying out loud?)

Had to make several trips between work and home since I have 1 working computer at home. They're telling me that when my computer boots up, press Windows key go into Settings, Update Security, then Recovery and there should be an option to get back to 8.1.  Let's hope that's the case but with my luck, I can't afford to be so optimistic.  Thanks, will report back what happened.

techgnosis,

I'd try reinstalling the appropriate version of Windows 10 (32/64-bit Home/Pro depending on what version of Win8.1 you had and hardware you have) again using media you create using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool on another machine and either burning it to DVD or creating a bootable USB drive.  

#12 techgnosis

techgnosis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 01:08 PM

OK, was abel to get back into Windows 10, go to Control Panel, and restore Windows 8.1.  However, now I have another issue.  I can't tell if this is related to the "System Thread Exception Not Handled Error" or not.  But the problem was happening simultaneously, when I started getting the BSOD and the error message. (Incidentally, this boot/loading issue with the monitor going into Power Save never happened before I started seeing this error message, which is why I think the 2 are connected.)

The system is not loading and the monitor immediately goes into Power Save mode. It was happening before as well but when I put the Windows 8.1 boot disk, somehow the sytsem did start once.  Now it's not starting with even that. Antoher thing, when it tries to load for the very first time (without boot disk in DVD drive), the computer makes very audible and grunting noise!  WTF.  I've never had this happen before.  Is this a starter problem?  The monitor just doesn't seem to recognize it.

Could the "System Thread Exception Not Handled", which suggests that the driver are incompatible, may have resulted in hardware failure?  When I got into my system, I went to Dell, downloaded and ran all drivers to make sure I had the latest and greatest for Windows 8.1.  Prior to all this, I seemed to be having minor malware issues as well with some of my commonly-visited sites not loading quickly enough and one time I was being redirected to phishing sites.  I purchased Hitman Pro to resolve this and ran it, got rid of certain malwares, I thought.  I did all this when I was able to log in and restore Windows 8.1., i.e., all under 8.1. 

Am trying to ferret out if this is a (1) hardware issue involving my power source or starter or (2) malware/driver-induced hardware issue which started from "System Thread Exception Not Handled."  If starter/power source, I have a similar Dell model which died 3 years ago (XPS 8300) from which I think I can poach similar parts.  Sorry, this is getting more complicated now and has played out in an unexpected manner.

Latest Update: Now I can't even turn off the computer. Left the comptuer on for a while with the montior not recognizing. Can't turn the system off without turning off power.  The starter button doesn't respond.  And when I restart, the system attempts to load but the power button's light is off.  It looks like the whole system has disintegrated.

Thanks so much for comments guys. I tried the MS Media Creation Tool, copied that to a CD and tried to boot from there.  Nothing.  Then called that Microsoft line -- apparently that number is dedicated to Dell computer users; they don't recommend upgrading to Windows 10 (Well, then, why was I enticed into upgrading for crying out loud?)

Edited by techgnosis, 24 December 2015 - 01:32 PM.

#13 Cnon

Cnon

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:11 AM

I'd try to get a new one, if still under warranty. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users