Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformatted And Now Problems

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 gf823

gf823

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:36 AM

I can't move the Temp folder from the folder with the pc name (it says cannot move ~DF155F: It is being used by another person or program...). I moved all the other Temp folders with no problem. Also now some sites won't even load all the way (for example espn, sportsline, menshealth forums, nordstrom) while others load fine (ebay, google, shoryuken). I think it has to do with my cookies, which brings me to another problem. Before I had the cookie control set to medium in zonealarm pro and now it's still at medium but I can't view my email or ebay. I can log in, but then it'll log me out once I click anything. If I set cookie control to off everything is fine. I'm pretty sure my firefox settings are the same, and I tried to set and clear cookies but that doesn't work. IIRC the only differences from last time are I did some of the things recommended in SecureXP and Radified, my av is different and I run trojan hunter now. I just want my damn pc running how it used to be!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 05:42 AM

Did you completely remove the old av ap when you installed the new one?
What av ap are you running?

If shutting down ZoneAlarm eliminates some of the problem, uninstall it and reinstall it, but before you reinstall it clean all the temp files from your computer. (disconnect it from the internet before you uninstall ZA.)

To delete all the temp files, click start/programs/accessories/system tools/disk cleanup

It will take a while for disk cleanup to scan your drive.
When it populates just make sure only the temp files are checked.
Allow it to delete all temp files.

After it is finished, open IE or Firefox (or both if you have both) and delete cookies and temp files from the browser.

Reinstall ZA and it should be working properly.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:00 PM

As for the temp file that won't go - I get this message a lot, it's a common temp file and it won't let you delete it until you exit whatever's locking it in use. I just boot into Safe Mode to delete it.

IMO you only need 3 security programs to adequately protect your system. Too many can clog your system up and prevent you from doing things that you want to do (along with surfing/emailing responsibly)

So, I'd use a software firewall, one antivirus application and one anti-spyware application. Use others to scan your system - but don't make changes with them, and don't leave them running in memory. For my "backup" I use http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ and it's all that I've needed.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 gf823

gf823
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 06:12 PM

Enthusiast: When you reformat, isn't everything removed? I'm running PC-cillin. I tried what you said, but it didn't fix anything.

usasma: That sounds like it should do the trick. Before the reformat I used at least 5 anti-spyware/trojan programs and everything ran smooth. I'm gonna do the same once I get this problem fixed.

Also my pc randomly rebooted twice today and I lost all my firefox bookmarks and zonealarm settings disappeared :thumbsup: Damn this is so frustrating!

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 07:32 PM

I use at least 7 anti-malware aps - (only three running in the background) plus an antivirus ap and a firewall.

It gives me no problems and each sometimes catches things the others do not.

#6 gf823

gf823
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 08:30 PM

Bump, problem still not solved.

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:01 PM

Going down the list here:

I can't move the Temp folder from the folder with the pc name

Windows uses the temp file for dynamically generated configuration files; applications also use it for temp memory. For instance, when you open a document, you are not working on the actual document, but rather a working copy. The "working" copy for many apps tend to be found in the temp folder.

Also now some sites won't even load all the way (for example espn, sportsline, menshealth forums,

You need to be a bit more specific about what you mean by "Won't load all of the way". What parts of those pages do not load?

If I set cookie control to off everything is fine.

DISCLAIMER** This is an oversimplification of the process, but should help you understand what is happening.**

So that simply means that your system settings are set to the point where it does not allow cookies to be written. In IE, if cookie control is set to medium, then any cookies that contain personally identifiable information can not be, for the sake of simplicity, altered. When you successfully log in to your email, it sends you on to the next page. The next page checks your cookie to see if you are a valid user. Since the cookie can not be altered (because it contains personally identifiable information), it can not alter the cvookie to say that you are a valid user. Hence, it will log you back out. This is perfectly normal activity. You can set IE to accept cookies from specific web sites so that your email will work.

The reason that you are experiencing the changes in your browser is because you have the security setings cranked up. You system is working exactly as it is supposed to be. I am guessing that some of the pages are not loading completely because IE is prohibiting things like javascript or activex from running in an insecure fashion.

There is a dichotomy between functionality and security.... Actually, it is a trichotomy when you figure cost in, but basically, the more secure an application, the less functionality. The more functionality, the less security.... think about it. Your Internet works best when there is no security. Flash, ActiveX, Javascript, Ajax, etc. all make the Internet a flashy place to be. But it is precisely those same things that allow a computer to be exploited, hence if you turn them off, you are more secure. The Internet becomes less flashy (and less dangerous).

Crank your security settings back to minimum if you want it back the way it was.

Also my pc randomly rebooted twice today and I lost all my firefox bookmarks and zonealarm settings disappeared

What were you doing right before that? Did it give any warnings that it was going to reboot? Have you been tinkering with any of the hardware? I can't think of any malware that will cause a system to just reboot (without some sort of warning). That sounds more like hardware.

The problem here is that you have too many people giving too much advice. It's not bad advice, but I think you need to slow down a bit and do one thing at a time instead of just following suggestions willy-nilly. All that does is causes more problems because one problem compounds another.

Best of luck.

EDIT: As far as bumping your threads, please don't. You have given us no new information, so nobody has anything new to tell you. When someone has time to help, they will.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:38 PM

Try renaming the file in safe mode and then deleting it.

#9 gf823

gf823
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2006 - 12:08 AM

This is in response to groovicus since I have no idea how to do the quote thing properly after I've been quoted.

2nd quote: I can see the top quarter-half of the page but the rest won't load. The loading bar never gets to 100%. I've waited upto 20 minutes and then just close the window.

3rd quote: The cookie thing sort of makes sense, but how come I can log in and post to some forums while others will keep logging me out? Now the 2nd paragraph is where my problems arise I think. Those tweaks I made on step 5 of the SecureXP guide, under XP-AntiSpy, my website loding problem I'm sure could be fixed here. Could you or anyone else dl the program and tell me what boxes you recommend be filled in? Here is a picture of what I have checked. Posted Image]my settings[/url]
and under Regsvr32 dll's, I only have Regwizc.dll checked.

4th quote: I was browsing websites. This happens after I've browsed a lot of sites (i'd say 2 hours or more of loading/refreshing). I use Firefox and open a lot of tabs. Sometimes i'll have a download and play music. No warning or tinkering. Should I run a memory test?

I bumped because it was getting moved back, which only prolongs this frustrating problem.

EDIT, I clicked the picture and it's not what's in the thumbnail. If anyone gets something else, let me know.

Edited by gf823, 28 July 2006 - 12:10 AM.

#10 gf823

gf823
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2006 - 12:24 AM

If the picture in the above post isn't right, try here

http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?522efc5f3c.jpg

Edited by gf823, 28 July 2006 - 12:25 AM.

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2006 - 05:49 AM

Try shutting down the Anti-spy program and setting Firefox's settings back to "Default".

In tools/options under the privacy/cookies tabs, allow sites to set cookies.
That's why some sites recognize you and some do not.

If you use IE set security to "Medium" or click restore defaults.

Some sites require popups to work (like CNN) - Firefox settings will allow you to accept popups from only sites that you specify.
tools/options/content/allowed sites

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users