Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Confused whether I can do a clean install of Win10

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Toshiba2015

Toshiba2015

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 22 December 2015 - 03:14 PM

I bought my laptop at Best Buy about 5 years ago with Win7 installed on it, and I immediately backed up the OS at the beginning before doing anything else.  After about a year, the hard drive died.  So I bought a new hard drive and reinstalled Win7 from my backup disks.  The backup turned out to be faulty, with missing programs and driver signatures, so I spent a few months figuring out what to get to patch it up and make it work.  That was about 4 years ago.  About 1 month ago, I was frustrated with Win7, mainly because Windows Updates would not function no matter what I did to repair it.  So I upgraded to Win10.  Now I have other problems and have been on another site trying to get it all straightened out.  I often am advised to just do a clean install of Win10.  So now I have downloaded the Win10 ISO using Media Creation Tool and burned it to a disk.  Now you know my computer history!

With all this being said, I'd like to know if I can do a clean install of Win10 from the DVD.  I've been told different things.  I've heard that I can't because installing the ISO of Win10 wouldn't have the product registration number that's needed and that I'd have to pay for that.  Supposedly, it was different when I did the upgrade because Win7 was already there and had that number.  But it would be different if I did a clean install.  I've also been advised that Microsoft has that number and that I'd need to be connected to the internet when I did the clean install in order for MS to identify my computer as legit.  But I don't have a way to be connected during installation.  Windows has to be installed in order to establish a connection.

So what can I do?  I'd like to do the clean install of Win10.  It's ISO is on 1 disk, doesn't have all the Toshiba and Best Buy software on it that came bundled on my computer (and my backup) and may even be the source of some of my problems (Best Buy app was uninstalled, but all of it's registry components are still there and I can't remove them).  Plus, Win7 is a faulty backup and I'd have to put all the "patch" programs back in place to make it work right again.  At the same time, I know Win7 better since I've had it so long, and only have had Win10 for a month.  All in all, I think I'd like to go with Win10.  But can I "clean install" it from the DVD without being connected to the internet?  Will my current hard drive still have that 25 digit registration number on it somewhere to allow Win10 to be seen as "legit"?  I'd like to know these things before I try anything so I don't create an even bigger mess.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,986 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 22 December 2015 - 03:35 PM

If your Windows 10 shows as activated you can clean install using the media creation tool without a problem. Windows 10 uses your hardware ID for activation. Once activated you can install again and will automatically be activated. You will need to install your display and network drivers, possibly others also. You can download these ahead of time to a flash drive. 

activated-settings.jpg

#3 Toshiba2015

Toshiba2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 03:49 PM

If your Windows 10 shows as activated you can clean install using the media creation tool without a problem. Windows 10 uses your hardware ID for activation. Once activated you can install again and will automatically be activated. You will need to install your display and network drivers, possibly others also. You can download these ahead of time to a flash drive. 

activated-settings.jpg

Would I need to use Media Creation Tool again to install it?  I thought that was just to download the ISO.  I've never clean installed an OS since I got the new hard drive 4 years ago, so I don't remember what I did then.  I thought I just put the disk in the disk drive and clicked something to start installing it.

You said I'd need to install display and network drivers, along with others.  Aren't those things included in the OS?  How will I know what others I'll need, and where do I have to go to get them?

I wonder if those are the programs I had to "patch up" Win7 with when I reinstalled it.  My display wasn't working correctly and I didn't have network access either.  Are those things routinely missing from Windows operating systems?  They seem like pretty basic things to include if the OS is to work properly.

Edited by Toshiba2015, 22 December 2015 - 03:56 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,986 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:02 PM

The Media Creation tool will create a iso or a bootable USB flash drive that you can use to install. It will also let you download an iso file you can use to install. You can download the iso by itself here.

Windows 10 may or may not have your Network adapter drivers included. It will probably have your Ethernet driver but not your Wireless. It will not have your display driver. There are so many different Wireless and LAN chipsets the OS would only provide for the most common ones. 

#5 Toshiba2015

Toshiba2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:14 PM

The Media Creation tool will create a iso or a bootable USB flash drive that you can use to install. It will also let you download an iso file you can use to install. You can download the iso by itself here.

Windows 10 may or may not have your Network adapter drivers included. It will probably have your Ethernet driver but not your Wireless. It will not have your display driver. There are so many different Wireless and LAN chipsets the OS would only provide for the most common ones. 

Well, I've already downloaded the Win10 ISO to a DVD, so that's taken care of.  Next step is actually using it to do the clean install to replace what I have now.  As for those drivers, how will I know which ones I will need?  I'd like to get them now before getting started.  Without even a network driver, I wouldn't be able to do anything until I got that taken care of.

Edited by Toshiba2015, 22 December 2015 - 04:14 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,986 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:17 PM

Go to Toshiba's support site for your model. Look for Chipset, LAN, Wireless, and Display for your Windows 10 OS. If none are shown then Windows 10 has those included.

Edit: This guide shows clean installing Windows 8.1. Windows 10 would be similar. When you get to the page asking for a key, simply click next.

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 December 2015 - 04:19 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 06:02 PM

Just FYI - if you open a command prompt and type in "slmgr /xpr" (without the quotes) and press Enter -

A small window will open.  If it says that the system is permanently activated, this means that it's activated on Microsoft's servers.

As long as you don't change the hardware, there will be no difficulties activating W10.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Toshiba2015

Toshiba2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 06:08 PM

Just FYI - if you open a command prompt and type in "slmgr /xpr" (without the quotes) and press Enter -

A small window will open.  If it says that the system is permanently activated, this means that it's activated on Microsoft's servers.

As long as you don't change the hardware, there will be no difficulties activating W10.

I did as you suggested and it said, "Windows ® Core edition: This machine is permanently activated".  I guess that's good news.  Does it also mean that any drivers I'll need in order to actually use Win10 will be there and ready to go when I do the clean install?

#9 Toshiba2015

Toshiba2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 06:22 PM

Go to Toshiba's support site for your model. Look for Chipset, LAN, Wireless, and Display for your Windows 10 OS. If none are shown then Windows 10 has those included.

Edit: This guide shows clean installing Windows 8.1. Windows 10 would be similar. When you get to the page asking for a key, simply click next.

Thank you for the reference to Toshiba's support site.  One question about what's there:  How do I know what to choose if there are multiple options?  For instance, here is the page of options I get when choosing a Wi-Fi driver: http://support.toshiba.com/drivers  If I click "more", the list gets even bigger.  I would think the wise thing to do is simply pick the latest one, but they have different names which makes me think they are for different purposes.  Their download sizes are very different too.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,986 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 06:27 PM

Toshiba's support site for drivers leaves a lot to be desired. In the left portion of the screen you should see your OS and what drivers you want. Toshiba sometimes has two Windows X64 selections. You may have to try each. There may be multiple drivers for wireless. The only way to be sure which one you have is open Device Manager before you reinstall. 

What is the model number of the Toshiba?

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 December 2015 - 06:27 PM.

#11 Toshiba2015

Toshiba2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 07:40 PM

Toshiba's support site for drivers leaves a lot to be desired. In the left portion of the screen you should see your OS and what drivers you want. Toshiba sometimes has two Windows X64 selections. You may have to try each. There may be multiple drivers for wireless. The only way to be sure which one you have is open Device Manager before you reinstall. 

What is the model number of the Toshiba?

I see what you mean now.  On the left side, I clicked Driver and then Wi-fi, but didn't specify the OS.  So now I clicked Win10 x64, and the list changed, but is still just as long as before.  My computer is a Toshiba Satellite C655-S5082.  As for looking in Device Manager, I just did that now and it's a bit baffling.  I clicked on Audio inputs and outputs and then Speakers to check on what is installed there (because my speakers haven't worked since upgrading to Win10), and it says that the device is working properly.  I clicked on Driver and it tells me that no driver is required or has been installed for it.  So apparently, it thinks it's working properly and nothing needs to be done even though the speakers clearly don't work anymore.  I also clicked on Update Driver, and then an automatic search took place followed by the message saying that Windows has determined that my current driver is installed and up to date. Good grief!  :smash:

Edited by Toshiba2015, 24 December 2015 - 07:43 PM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,986 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 07:52 PM

Device Manager should show your Network Adapters and which chipset is used by right clicking. If you have another computer, you can do the clean install and get the drivers you need later by going to Device Manager and getting the Vendor/Device IDs.

When I go to the support site here I could not find any reference to Windows 10 in the left pane. 

http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=2759785

#13 Toshiba2015

Toshiba2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 08:47 PM

Device Manager should show your Network Adapters and which chipset is used by right clicking. If you have another computer, you can do the clean install and get the drivers you need later by going to Device Manager and getting the Vendor/Device IDs.

When I go to the support site here I could not find any reference to Windows 10 in the left pane. 

http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=2759785

Good question!  I thought for sure I saw Win10 listed there.  I started over from the beginning and discovered that Win10 appears there before I enter the model number of my computer, but not after I enter my model number.  I wonder if that means Toshiba doesn't support my computer with drivers needed to run Win10.  That wouldn't be a good thing!

Another quick question about drivers, if I may.  When I first bought this computer, I created a system image on 4 DVDs of Win7 as a backup in case of a hard drive crash, which happened only about a year later.  When I installed a new hard drive and loaded my backup onto it, things did not go well.  I had to "patch it up" with things to make it work that sound similar to these drivers we're talking about here.  At first, Wi-fi was absent, graphics were messed up, and many key features were simply missing.  Using Device Manager at that time, I also noticed that there were 5 places where it indicated "Missing or corrupt driver signatures".  Someone said I should install a program called Readydriver Plus which stopped the boot up process and allowed me to press F8 and then select "Disable driver signature enforcement".  I had to start my computer this way over the past 4 years, and it ran in Test Mode.  So I always considered this backup of my Win7 OS to be faulty, and had to put up with it.  I thought upgrading to Win10 would be my "escape" from a faulty OS.  But is this actually normal???  By what you said before, it sounds like it's normal for an OS to not have certain drivers and other things when clean installed. 

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,986 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 09:15 PM

Firstly, never use a driver hunting program like Readydriver. You can get the drivers using the Vendor/Device IDs in Device Manager if you do need them. It's possible your problems arose because of using that program. 

You could try installing Windows 7 via the DVDs but this would be a factory reset and all your installed programs would be gone. You would need to backup any data.

There have been issues with Windows 10 upgrades to Windows 7 computers, not so much Windows 8 and 8.1.

It is normal for a OS to not have drivers if you install the standard install but your DVDs should have included all your drivers. I don't know why you were still missing some.

If your computer still has it's factory restore partition you can access it by tapping the Zero key at boot. This will start the Recovery Manager. Make sure your battery is fully charged and your computer is plugged in. This would take you back to the day you purchased it and you would need to reinstall all your security updates. Just make sure you do not set it to automatic updates and only do Security Updates. Set it to notify me of updates but let me decide when to download them or you will be back to Windows 10 again.

#15 Toshiba2015

Toshiba2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 09:48 PM

Firstly, never use a driver hunting program like Readydriver. You can get the drivers using the Vendor/Device IDs in Device Manager if you do need them. It's possible your problems arose because of using that program. 

You could try installing Windows 7 via the DVDs but this would be a factory reset and all your installed programs would be gone. You would need to backup any data.

There have been issues with Windows 10 upgrades to Windows 7 computers, not so much Windows 8 and 8.1.

It is normal for a OS to not have drivers if you install the standard install but your DVDs should have included all your drivers. I don't know why you were still missing some.

If your computer still has it's factory restore partition you can access it by tapping the Zero key at boot. This will start the Recovery Manager. Make sure your battery is fully charged and your computer is plugged in. This would take you back to the day you purchased it and you would need to reinstall all your security updates. Just make sure you do not set it to automatic updates and only do Security Updates. Set it to notify me of updates but let me decide when to download them or you will be back to Windows 10 again.

Well, I don't have ReadyDriver anymore.  Since getting Win10, I deleted it since I don't need to disable driver signature enforcement anymore.  My current installation of Win10 seems to have all its driver signatures in place.  Not sure why my laptop's speakers don't work anymore.  I only get audio if I plug in a headset.

I doubt my computer still has it's factory restore partition since I had to replace the hard drive after about 1 year.  I'm assuming the partition was on the original hard drive.  But if it's somewhere else, would using it be a good idea now that I have Win10 installed?  I don't think I'd want it to revert back to Win7.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users