Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Patch Kb2965788 error 80070308 and general startup nightmares

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gideon52

gideon52

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 22 December 2015 - 01:04 PM

Last week after some Windows updates, my system would no longer start up properly.

Upon startup the desktop would load, and all would look fine, but in fact the system was

frozen and would not respond to any action (even ctrl-alt-del).

I was able to restore to a point before the update and everything worked fine, and each

day when I started up I would have to restore once more to that point or the system would

simply hang on startup.

Figuring the only sure fire way to fix the problem would be a restore to factory settings, I did

so and now am faced with the exact same problem. I have managed to install updates and some

crucial software I need for work (along with Norton for security). But I am again forced each time

I restart Windows to reload a working restore point. The weird thing is, the reinstall of my software

went fine UNTIL I reinstall Norton Security w/BU. Then the system locking up on restart begins

all over again, forcing me to restore to just after the Norton install every day.

I did notice an error in windows update, the following patch:

Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2965788)

failed to install and is no longer even listed in available patches, like Update just gave up on it

(the fail listing has the error #Code 80070308 on it if that helps).

I am stumped on this one! Any help other than "try to factory reinstall again and hope for

the best" would be greatly appreciated!

I have posted to the Microsoft forums, the Dell forums and the Norton forums, gotten some

advice about trying Update fixers from Microsoft and tweaking settings on Norton Security

but so far no luck.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 01:39 PM

Installer Unlocker, then install the everything search engine. Watch out for the installer when you install unlocker, it is loaded with crapware. The program itself is solid. Open the everything search engine and copy and paste KB2965788 into the everything search engine, click edit -- select all -- Right click highlighted items. Then select unlocker. Delete all the highlighted items.

Next unisntall Norton from the add remove programs list, then run the Norton removal tool. Reboot your machine.  See if you are able to use windows normally now. You can re-install Norton at a later time, I not suggesting you replace Norton, just as a test remove it so we can see if that is the root of the issue.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:27 PM

Let's have a look at this report.

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 gideon52

gideon52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 04:37 PM

Let's have a look at this report.

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

compressed file attached to this post

Attached Files

#5 gideon52

gideon52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 04:40 PM

Installer Unlocker, then install the everything search engine. Watch out for the installer when you install unlocker, it is loaded with crapware. The program itself is solid. Open the everything search engine and copy and paste KB2965788 into the everything search engine, click edit -- select all -- Right click highlighted items. Then select unlocker. Delete all the highlighted items.

Next unisntall Norton from the add remove programs list, then run the Norton removal tool. Reboot your machine.  See if you are able to use windows normally now. You can re-install Norton at a later time, I not suggesting you replace Norton, just as a test remove it so we can see if that is the root of the issue.

I have ditched Norton and switched over to McAffee which has solved my startup issue. I still have the KB2965788 issue, but don't want

to download a bunch of 3rd party programs you admit are full of crapware, thanks anyway.

#6 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 04:42 PM

You just have to watch out for the items when installing, this way is very quick and it works 100%.... Your machine, your choice. Good luck. :)

#7 gideon52

gideon52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 04:57 PM

Ok, I found an official download from Microsoft for the KB2965788 patch, but when I run it, it says it is not applicable to my system

Is it maybe superseded by newer patches? Reading conflicting reports on that.

#8 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 05:09 PM

To be honest that update is old, so perhaps there is another one that supersedes this one. It has to do with remote desktop, do you ever use that? Honestly this is only one update, I would not sweat it. One update is not going to make or break your machine, and honestly if a hacker wants to attack your machine, no amount of updates is going to save you. People limp their fully patched infected machines in here on a daily basis. So long as your machine is booting fine and there is no other issue, ignore this single update, not worth that much headache.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 25 December 2015 - 07:44 AM

Many problems with acvpnagent and acvpnui - components of the AnyConnect VPN agent.

Please uninstall it.

Also have problems with the Cisco AnyConnect VPN and McAfee hogging your registry and not releasing it properly when done.

Please also uninstall McAfee.  Please be sure to enable Windows Defender and the Windows firewall while testing.

Then test and let us know how it's working.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users