Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need thoughts on facebook page activity

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 22 December 2015 - 12:31 PM

1.  If this needs to be in another section please move it... though, I can't think of where it could actually fit(this probably is the best place)

2.  If you don't have any ideas about this but have suggestions of who I might ask of where I could look, I'd appreciate it.

I come here looking for thoughts because the way facebook works today, it's difficult to get answers and all but impossible to contact a real person...

I manage a few pages on facebook...  one is for my own forum which is pretty much inactive and as logic would dictate, I don't get a lot of activity on that page...  But one of the other ones is a page I created a few years back for a poultry forum that I simply helped admin. The owner let his hosting lapse and gave  up on it.  He still holds the domain but it's been a few years since the forum actually worked.  So, nobody can use the website that the page is about.

Somehow, the page keeps getting new likes and MOST of them are from middle eastern men.  In the last week it has had 9 new likes, many from Egypt.  This was an american forum about poultry and geared towards youth.  So, I find it odd that middle eastern men are continuously liking the page.  There's only 383 likes right now but very few of those are people that have actually ever visited the site when it was up...  and few of these people even visit the page, they simply like it.

ALL of the new likes that come in are middle eastern or arabic type names...  Almost a third of the likes are from Egypt... in fact, there's a thing on the left prompting to pay to advertise and it suggests so that we can increase reach in Egypt.
That's all odd enough... 
I can't find it again but it said "11 people are talking about this..." 
Where? 
on one of the insight pages it shows 11 people "engaged" and the information button says

the unigue number of people who liked, commented, shared, or clicked on your posts.

9 new likes in the last week so, not all of the 11 engagements are likes... so, and none are comments or shares or anything ON the page... so, some sort of discussion about the page is happening somewhere else that I can't see. 

For "post clicks" it shows 2 and says

The total number of clicks on your posts, not including likes, comments, or shares, which are broken out above.

There are NO post likes or comments... so, someone is clicking to see the posts...  but, not doing anything else with them...

I am a somewhat suspicious person to begin with but this all seems odd.  Odd that so many people from the middle east are liking an american website that doesn't currently exist... that some are talking about it, somewhere...
I cannot help but wonder if somehow... the page is being USED for something.  I can't imagine what... but, it has me VERY curious.

If anyone knows enough about the pages to where I could do some more digging, I'm open to suggestions.  If anyone has any ideas who or why people would be using/liking this somewhat abandoned page, I'd be interested to know...  My curious mind can't help but wander/wonder off to considering somewhat shady stuff. 

Or if you have suggestions as to who else I might ask or where I could dig up more information, I'd be interested.

I don't know if I just sound paranoid here...  but, I can't think of any logical reason for all of these people liking the page.  When something doesn't make sense to me, it usually means there's something more to it that I'm just not understanding. 
IF there is ANY chance that people are using that page for some, less than noble purposes... I'd like to figure it out and find a way to deal with that.

I hope all that makes sense.
I wish I could simply email facebook or even contact them through facebook to ask them about this... but that's just not how facebook works today.  If you want help, all you get is help topics and people trying to answer other people's questions...  very little in the way of support from the company itself.  :/

Edit:  I must admit that I cannot completely rule out that, these people might be interested in poultry and are just the average sheep-like human that clicks things JUST because...  There's certainly no shortage of those in America so why not the middle east?   

Edited by millipede, 22 December 2015 - 12:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 06:52 PM

I find it odd that middle eastern men are continuously liking the page.  There's only 383 likes right now but very few of those are people that have actually ever visited the site when it was up...  and few of these people even visit the page, they simply like it.

Personally, when I see mention of a site that doesn't exist, I check to see if Google, or The Way Back Machine, has a cached version of it. Perhaps this site, is still accessible, despite being gone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users