Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gigabyte z68mx and i72600k Bios Defaults giving BSOD 0x124

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DYDEAD

DYDEAD

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 22 December 2015 - 11:45 AM

So a week ago I did the unthinkable, I spilled a glass of lemonade over my PC and had to replace my motherboard with my old one the Gigabyte z68mx-ud2h-b3 (rev1.0).

This motherboard had worked with my CPU (i7 2600k) before without problems but wasn't set up by me at the time. Yet when installed now with an updated bios to F13 (the one before UEFI) the system BSODs at loading windows giving a generic 0x124 hardware error. 

Now when I increase vcore voltage from auto to 1.240 windows starts and I only get the BSOD randomly when watching youtube and VLC, sometimes whilst gaming, sometimes not.

I've ran memtests, they check out. I've tested the hard drives and graphics card, both fine. The PSU seems fine as the system doesn't shut down, it simply BSODs and tells me my hardware is screwed (thanks windows, really helpful) and calmly creates a dumpfile and restarts.

Memory timings are set correctly, the PC won't start with optimised defaults OR fail safe defaults, ONLY when the vcore is manually changed. And since I have no experience with overclocking or setting voltages I'm pretty much lost.

Is my CPU busted or is it just the motherboard acting up? 
Thanks in advance for any help given, I really can't afford a new CPU frown.gif 

Added a picture of temps and voltages.

System Specs:

Windows 7
Gigabyte z68mx-ud2h-b3 (rev1.0)
Coolermaster 1000w
AMD 290x MSI
2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHZ
Intel i7 2600k 3.4GHZ (3.8 turbo)

Attached Files

Edited by DYDEAD, 22 December 2015 - 12:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 22 December 2015 - 12:20 PM

I am not sure this would be the problem but open a command prompt and type

diskpart

list disk

Is there an Asterisk under GPT for your boot disk?

From your post, are you saying your current MB is not UEFI but regular BIOS?

#3 DYDEAD

DYDEAD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 12:31 PM

It is indeed a regular BIOS, I've not updated to UEFI as I don't care for it too much. Would this be a problem?

There is no Asterisk under the GPT section for my boot disk.

#4 DYDEAD

DYDEAD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 12:49 PM

Sticking the vcore on 1.3 seems to have allowed me to run a prime95 test (the voltage one specifically). I'll have to keep monitoring to see if it happens again. Is there a reason this happened? It's not normal I assume to have to stick the vcore up to 1.3 from bios defaults?

Also the BSODs seem to happen when the system is idling, as if the power is cut off. Is there a way to counter this?

Edited by DYDEAD, 22 December 2015 - 12:54 PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 01:11 PM

I am not much of a hardware expert but do you see anything in EventViewer that would give an idea as to the BSOD. You can run BlueScreenView and look at your dmp file for a clue. 

You may have already seen this page but I am linking to it just in case.

If none of the above leads you to solve the problem you can PM a moderator and move the thread to the Crash Forum. You would probably get better results there.

#6 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 09:31 PM

Do you have an overclock?

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#7 DYDEAD

DYDEAD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 11:37 AM

The board has an inbuilt Turbo function that overclocks it when possible to around 3.8ghz. I assumed the power options on the motherboard would correct automatically for this, but it seems it hasn't.

Running with 1.3 seems to keep the system stable, but increases my temps by a bit. I'll change thermal paste and see how that affects everything.

Even when turning the turbo function off I get a BSOD when starting windows when setting vcore to Auto, very strange. It's as if the bios defaults for this processor are wrong. Or the processor is dying...

The BSOD btw is a generic hal.dll hardware error, there are no conflicting drivers or errors before the BSOD in eventviewer or when reading the dumps.

Edited by DYDEAD, 23 December 2015 - 11:45 AM.

#8 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 09:56 PM

Can you please post the crash dump?
Even though all components may appear ok, they could still be damaged.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users