Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ESET & HitmanPro.Alert Exploit Blockers - Help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JayKatai

JayKatai

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 22 December 2015 - 10:45 AM

Hello Bleeping Computer!

I'm currently using ESET Smart Security 9 and HitmanPro.Alert 3, I hope I could get some advice since both have anti-exploit features.

Is it fine to use both at the same time or would it be safer to disable one? I'm unsure how good the exploit blocker in ESS is since there is little documentation and no reviews or video malware test examples so I am leaning towards HMP.A if I had to choose one.

I did try the HMP.A test tool but ESS never flagged up anything, HMP.A did instead.

What do you think?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,897 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 22 December 2015 - 11:12 AM

I have been using HitmanPro.Alert with ESET NOD32 and have not experienced any issues.

HitmanPro.Alert Compatibility with ESET Discussion Topic

However, some ESET Smart Security users have reported HitmanPro.Alert was stopping the Banking Protection from Loading...see Cannot use Banking Protection in ESS v.9
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:36 AM

Hi there,

It's not a good idea to use two anti-exploit applications at once, so it is best that you choose one of the two.

#4 philfil

philfil

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 06:12 AM

I did try the HMP.A test tool but ESS never flagged up anything, HMP.A did instead.

Anti exploit software typically protects specific applications such as web browsers. If you wish to test one type of anti exploit software using a test provided by another company, it is best to include the test as one of the applications protected by the anti exploit software, if that is possible. For example, I have used Malwarebytes anti exploit test (mbae-test.exe) to test the Microsoft Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET), but it will only work if mbae-test.exe is added to the list of applications protected by EMET. If it isn't added, the Malwarebytes test is ignored by EMET. The Hitmanpro.Alert test allows you to specify an application which is to be subjected to a pseudo exploit, so it might work with ESS if you choose an application which is protected by ESS. I am not familiar with ESS so I don't know how easy it is to configure it to work with the Hitmanpro.alert test.

Edited by philfil, 23 December 2015 - 06:49 AM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,897 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 07:22 AM

HitmanPro.Alert Exploit Test Tool Manual

...you can also use the Exploit Test Tool without HitmanPro.Alert to check the abilities of other security software on the computer, like Anti-Virus, Internet Security, Advance Endpoint Protection, Host Intrusion Prevention System, Exploit Mitigation tools or Anti-Exploit software...the Exploit Test Tool is purposely designed to trigger single exploit techniques to test and reveal the individual capabilities of security software.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users