Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot run any executables directly only through 'Open with' do they work.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gleo634

gleo634

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:27 PM

Hi there,

I posted this in the "Windows Crashes, BSOD, and Hangs Help and Support" but have had suggested to me to try this forum.

I have a strange problem with Windows 7, I cannot run any executables from the desktop or from the start menu. When I try to I receive a "These files can't be opened", your internet security settings prevented one or more files from being opened. Some guides say to access the security settings internet zone but it is completely blank. 

Weirdly enough though I am able to open programs by using the "Open with" command to run it. E.g to get firefox to run I need to open a txt file and open it with firefox. Other programs I've had to run it by cmd prompt, but this would only work if I shift click and open a location in the command window. Any direct double clicking on the executables results in the above error.

Running from the command prompt has only worked for some programs.

Please help, I'm not sure what else I can do to fix it. My backups have been having problems so I can't restore back to a previous time before this happened.

Thanks in advance for any help.

P.S I have tried to run a windows repair, but I get the same error about permissions.

I ran kapersky online scan and I also have Malwarebytes premium, neither revealed anything. I'm worried I might have a virus giving me these access problems.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 22 December 2015 - 12:50 PM

Create a new admin account, then run these scans.

Adware Cleaner Scan.

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan button.
  • When the scan has finished click on Clean button.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

JRT Scan.

Please download Junkware Removal Tool and save it on your desktop.

• Shut down your anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewall software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click it and select Run as administrator.
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Please post the JRT log.
  •  

Adware Removal Tool Scan.

Download Adware removal tool to your desktop, right click the icon and select Run as Administrator.

LOr0Gd7.png

Hit Ok.

sYFsqHx.png

Hit next make sure to leave all items checked, for removal.

8NcZjGc.png

The Program will close all open programs to complete the removal, so save any work and hit OK. Then hit OK after the removal process is complete, thenOK again to finish up. Post log generated by tool.

ZHP Scan.

Please download Zhp Cleaner  to your desktop.  Right Click the icon and select run as administrator.

http://nicolascoolman.com/download/zhpcleaner

2. Once you have started the program, you will need to click the scanner button.

EgsT69u.png

The program will close all open browsers!

3. Once the scan is completed, the you will want to click the Repair button.

6QJjV50.png

At the end of the process you may be asked to reboot your machine. After you reboot a report will open on your desktop.

Copy and paste the report here in your next reply.

Zemana Scan

Run a full scan with Zemana AntiMalware!

Install and select deep scan.

jdmyscF.jpg

Remove any infections found.

Then click on the icon in the pic below.

DOLGyto.jpg

Double click on the scan log, copy and paste here in your reply.

#3 gleo634

gleo634
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 01:28 PM

Couldn't even get past the first step :(. I created a new account as an administrator and tried to double click on firefox, that came up with the same error. So I did my trick to open a file with Firefox. Then downloaded adwcleaner. Tried to double click on that and the same error came up. Tried the cmd prompt trick and had the same problem, when I click close on the windows security alert I get a access denied in cmd prompt. See image below for error.

http://imgur.com/ZEnHAaG

#4 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 01:52 PM

Try and run rkill, see if you can get it to run prior to these tools. You will need to save it to the desktop.   Try each version of the tool, if you are able to get rkill to run, then proceed with the instructions. If you are unable to get this accomplished, then you will need to create a new thread. Start  here. follow the instructions, then create your new thread here. If you are unable to run the tools needed to diagnose, then make sure and relay that information in your new thread. Also, do not bump your topic, edit any new info into your original post. Helpers look for threads with zero replies, this will help you get help faster. Keep in mind the guys are busy, and they provide a free service.

Edit: This guide may be of relevance to your issue.

Edited by InadequateInfirmity, 22 December 2015 - 01:54 PM.

#5 gleo634

gleo634
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 02:50 PM

ok I tried following your instructions the best I could but it all ended up with the same error. I have escalated this to that new thread.

Thanks

#6 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 03:16 PM

No problem, good luck with your issue.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users