Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wiped HD now pc won't boot! Please help!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 acg0110

acg0110

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:01 PM

I wiped a powerspec B667 using Dban and now I can't reinstall windows 8.1 and I can't get the Bios.  The CD drive was booting before the wipe.  I did the following, which may have caused an issue?  I installed two extra sticks of ram, but was very careful not to touch the motherboard.  After I installed the ram I plugged the power chord back into the pc and heard a click noise.  Other than that I'm thinking maybe it is the monitor because it says no signal, but the monitor worked before.  I would appreciate any help.  Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:31 PM

The obvious first thing to do is remove the ram you added. If a stick of ram is bad or not properly seated the pc will turn on but you will not get any display or beeps.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 acg0110

acg0110
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:31 PM

The obvious first thing to do is remove the ram you added. If a stick of ram is bad or not properly seated the pc will turn on but you will not get any display or beeps.

Thanks for the suggestion Leurgy.  I tried that and it didn't fix the issue.  Would you have any other suggestions?  Thanks again.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 06:22 PM

and heard a click noise

Electronic components like RAM chips very seldom make any noise if they fail unless it is a catastrophic failure, ie a chip has blown apart. I've only seen one example of this recently when a friend of mine dropped a screw across the pins of an active power transistor. Not a pretty sight !  But I have known fuses go with a click.

Is anything happening when you try to power up this computer - any LEDs, any beeps, anything ?  If absolutely nothing is happening I would be inclined to suspect the power supply, possibly an internal fuse. 

Before you take any steps to investigate the innards of a PSU you need to be aware that these can hold dangerous voltage levels.

Disconnect the power cord then press and hold the 'On' switch down for a few seconds before starting to investigate. Your PSU may have an externally accessible fuse or may not. Don't forget to check the fuse in the plug as well. Of course, if you have a spare PSU lying around swapping them is the simplest way to establish if it is the PSU or not.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 acg0110

acg0110
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 07:58 PM

and heard a click noise

Electronic components like RAM chips very seldom make any noise if they fail unless it is a catastrophic failure, ie a chip has blown apart. I've only seen one example of this recently when a friend of mine dropped a screw across the pins of an active power transistor. Not a pretty sight !  But I have known fuses go with a click.

Is anything happening when you try to power up this computer - any LEDs, any beeps, anything ?  If absolutely nothing is happening I would be inclined to suspect the power supply, possibly an internal fuse. 

Before you take any steps to investigate the innards of a PSU you need to be aware that these can hold dangerous voltage levels.

Disconnect the power cord then press and hold the 'On' switch down for a few seconds before starting to investigate. Your PSU may have an externally accessible fuse or may not. Don't forget to check the fuse in the plug as well. Of course, if you have a spare PSU lying around swapping them is the simplest way to establish if it is the PSU or not.

Chris Cosgrove

Thank you Chris.  I had the power chord plugged into the wall.  After I installed the ram I plugged the power chord back into the pc and thats when I heard a noise.  The pc is turning on.  The power light is coming on and I can hear the hard drive spinning.  I just have no idea what changed.  Would wiping a HD not allow me to use the monitor and keyboard?  I keep trying to get the bios, but I don't see anything on the screen.  

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,226 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 07:00 PM

Sorry - I've been away and off-line for a couple of days.

The simplest way to test your monitor is to connect it to a different computer, if you haven't got one take it to a friend's. If it works fine there, then it is definitely not the monitor. And the simplest way to check if you are getting any video output at all is to plug a known working monitor into the computer, even if it is only the BIOS screen that you get to see.

The fact that your power light is coming on, fans and hard drive are spinning, suggests that there is no problem with your power supply. That's a pity - they are reasonably cheap and easy to replace ! 

You don't say whether you are using an add-on/plug in video card or not. If you are, once you have a known working monitor attached to your computer, try using the on-board graphics to see if you get an output to the screen. Wiping a hard drive will not affect the operation of the BIOS except that it can't boot. You should get the BIOS screen and you should be able to get into the BIOS since the BIOS system is hard wired into chips on the motherboard.

At the moment, the first thing you need to do is make sure you have a working monitor connected, then if you still can't see anything we can worry about other possibilities.

And finally - there is no need to quote everything that somebody has posted in a reply !  If you look you will see that everything you have quoted is still there in the previous posts. By all means use quotes to pick out one particular point - as I did with "heard a click noise" - but it is seldom necessary to quote a complete post, it just clutters up the page.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 Karzahni

Karzahni

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:30 PM

Is this an old PC? Could be anything, such as the motherboard. In this situation, I would try disconnecting everything apart from the bare essentials. (Only leave one stick of RAM, the CPU and the power supply) And then, if it still won't boot to BIOS, the only thing you can really do is replace a component one by one to troubleshoot. But that would be difficult if you don't just have RAM, motherboards and CPUs lying around.

exe_zpsv0pycpmd.jpg

#8 acg0110

acg0110
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 06:14 PM

Hey Chris.  Thanks for the reply and the posting tip.  Turns out the monitor is working.  I hooked it up to a laptop.  Any other suggestions?  Nothing boots.  I know the bios was set to boot from the dvd tray.  It booted fine before the wipe.  Would the wipe affect the keyboard working?  I'm hitting delete when the pc starts up to get the Bios.  Thanks again!

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,226 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2015 - 06:42 PM

Sorry for another delay in reply,we lost the internet for 24 hours yesterday.

Wiping a hard drive should not affect anything other than the hard drive.

So you have establised that the monitor is working, the PSU appears to be working and you can hear the hard drive winding up. The disc you are using to install 8.1 - are you sure it is a good disc in working condition ?  Blank DVDs are cheap enough I might be tempted to burn another install copy just as a check.

Failing that there are one or two other things you can do before you have to think about major problems. Because I am away from home at the moment, I don't have access to my own data, I can't give you the link so you are going to have to go to the Linux section and find AI1000's tutorial on how to make a self-booting Puppy CD. Puppy is a very light weight version of Linux which runs entirely in RAM aand allows access to your system.

If you make a Puppy disc you can try it on any PC without risk to that computer's system to make sure it works. Then try it on your own. If your computer boots from the Puppy disc then your CD drive is working and probably the problem is with your 8.1 install disc. If not, it maybe a connection problem with your CD drive.

Asit is nearly the bells, I am signing off. Happy New Year !

Chris Cosgrove

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:15 PM

I might have missed it, what happened when you attempted posting with only the power supply, motherboard, original RAM, cd-dvd drive, keyboard and mouse?  What keyboard, what mouse -- usb? ps/2?  Reason for asking:  if you're using USBs input devices, hoping that you can bypass 'em by borrowing and using PS/2 keyboard and mouse, and re-attempting computer post.

Edited by RolandJS, 31 December 2015 - 09:16 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users