Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Measures to take shipping CPU for repair

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 aworrier

aworrier

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:01 PM

What security measures should I take before I send my computer for repair? I'm debating between reformatting the hard drive or deleting all the progams and files. I don't want to reformat because I'd lose a lot of Windows updates. Deleting may run some risk of getting dug out. What if I cut and paste all my files to external storage device? Any other tips?

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:14 PM

Are you doing a hardware repair or software repair?

If your data is on a separate partition from the Windows installation, I'd suggest encrypting that partition with something like BitLocker (available Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate, Windows 8 and 10). That way the repairman can boot into Windows normally, but he cannot access your data without the encryption key.

#3 aworrier

aworrier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:20 PM

Are you doing a hardware repair or software repair?

If your data is on a separate partition from the Windows installation, I'd suggest encrypting that partition with something like BitLocker (available Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate, Windows 8 and 10). That way the repairman can boot into Windows normally, but he cannot access your data without the encryption key.

I think hardware as it's the casing and screen of the laptop that is falling apart. Although, they asked for login info to the computer if applicable so software checks may not be out of the list. I think all my data is on the C partition. I don't see any other partitions except D for the recovery drive that comes with HP machines. This is a Squaretrade plan if you've ever heard of the company. 

Edited by aworrier, 21 December 2015 - 08:21 PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 22 December 2015 - 07:42 AM

...I'm debating between reformatting the hard drive or deleting all the progams and files...

The correct way to remove most programs is from within its program group Uninstall shortcut in Start Menu > All Programs or by using Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) in Control Panel, so always check there first.

You cannot simply delete them.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 aworrier

aworrier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 12:45 PM

...I'm debating between reformatting the hard drive or deleting all the progams and files...

The correct way to remove most programs is from within its program group Uninstall shortcut in Start Menu > All Programs or by using Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) in Control Panel, so always check there first.

You cannot simply delete them.

Thank you quietman7. I should have worded myself better, but I will uninstall programs that way, I was referring to my files like pictures and documents. Do you whether cutting and pasting the files onto an external drive will make the files unrecoverable from the computer? I've read that cutting works differently from deleting, from which I know files can be recovered.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 22 December 2015 - 02:46 PM

Cut allows you to reallocate/move a file or folder from one location and copy/paste it to another location. Delete moves the file to the Recycle Bin, unless you hold down the left shift key which allows you to permanently delete it without sending to the Recycle Bin.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:03 PM

Just as a suggestion, there are tools that can do partition splits quickly without data loss if you wish to use encryption. Personally I use Acronis Disk Director (which is paid), but there are free tools such as Paragon Partition Manager or EaseUS Partition Manager that can also do the job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users