Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

freeing up space on hard drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dshah

dshah

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 06:44 PM

Hello, I have windows 7 and thinking of considering installing Windows 10. Before I can do that I need to free up disk space and optimize my computer so my computer doesn't run too slow. I have already ran CCCleaner and Disk Cleanup to clean up space. I was wondering if what else should do I to optimize my computer to free up space and things I should be doing so it doesn't run too slow when I upgrade to Windows 10?

Lastly, is it worth upgrading to windows 10 if I have windows 7 since I have my laptop since 2008 it is intel core 2 duo with 3GB ram and 128gb hard drive.

Thank you for your time

Edited by hamluis, 11 January 2016 - 01:47 PM.
Moved from Backup/Imaging to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 07:10 PM

You mentioned disk cleanup did you do clean up system files as well? There is a button there to do that. A lot of windows updates, minidumps etc can be removed that can eat up some disk space. Another thing you can do is turn off hibernation which deletes the hidden system file C:\hiberfil.sys this file can take a large chunk of hd space. That file is mainly for when your system goes into hibernation your systems memory is copied there. Coming out of hibernation it is then put back into system memory. You can have multiple browser and things open etc and shut down to hibernation and everything will be intact. Problem with this though, even if you're not using hibernation that file can eat up 1-8G's of HD space depending on how much memory you have in the system. To turn it off go to start and run type cmd and right-click runas administrator and type command powercfg -h off the hiberfil.sys file will be deleted. Turning hibernation back on powercfg -h on

Oh and your system will run Windows 10. Windows 7 support ends sometime in 2016.

Edited by technonymous, 21 December 2015 - 07:13 PM.

#3 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 433 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:18 PM

Windows 7 support ends sometime in 2016.

Microsoft won't end security updates for your Windows 7 PC until Jan. 14, 2020. By that time, Microsoft hopes you will have upgraded to a new version of its OS, whether that is Windows 8, 10, or beyond.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#4 dshah

dshah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 09:36 PM

If I turn off hibernation then every time I put my computer on sleep or hibernation mode then any documents or programs that I have opened and are not saved will not be opened next time I opened them? Is that correct?

Thank you

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 09:59 PM

Yes, if you turn it off it will effect that and hibernation won't work. You can easily turn it back on with the same command and the hiberfil.sys will be made instantly. I turn it off before making full backup images. No need to backup a large empty file. Before I turned mine off it was 6GB in size. So you can see how large of HD space it can take. Hibernation is nice if you want to stop and resume your work as you left it. I don't really need it so most of the time I leave it off, that's just my personal reference.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:38 AM

If I turn off hibernation then every time I put my computer on sleep or hibernation mode

then any documents or programs that I have opened and

are not saved

will not be opened next time I opened them? Is that correct?

Thank you

I just now noticed this phrase.  If you do not save data file changes [Save or Save As], said changes are lost and must be reMade.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:54 AM

Re question whether updating to Win 10 is "worth it", related topic at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/602241/is-it-worth-upgrading-from-windows-7-to-windows-10/ .

Posts in the Win 10 forums can provide more opinions that are validated by experience on this matter...than you may find here in the Win 7 forum.

Louis

#8 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 03:52 PM

One thing that can free up space on the HDD is to reduce the amount of space allowed for system restore points.  So you can go into your System Restore settings and lower the percentage of space it uses.  That of course cuts down on the no. of restore points you will have.

Re upgrading to 10, my philosophy is "if it ain't broke don't fix it".  Besides giving Murphy a chance to jump on you, just be aware that there're dozens of things that Microsoft tracks in 10 about what you do.  You can turn them off in Settings -> Privacy, but you need to know these are there.

`

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users