Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless always on - can't turn off with key - any fix?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 06:35 PM

The wireless key on my netbook operates the indicator chassis light on and off but the wireless is always on so that I can't use my ethernet cable.

I don't want to always go into the Network and Sharing Center and disable from there.

Is there any way to fix this glitch - help appreciated - thanks.

Win 10; Chrome

Edited by zzzz, 21 December 2015 - 06:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 11:35 PM

On most of these laps and notebooks there is a physical on/off switch mounted somewhere that physically turns the wireless part off. They can be the dickens to find, check your users manual (hopefully you have it) or google the make&model of your unit along with a few hit words, such as "network disconnect switch" etc.

[EDIT]: Maybe this will help:

http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?214308-How-to-turn-on-off-Wireless-in-various-Laptop-Models

Edited by ranchhand_, 21 December 2015 - 11:41 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:23 AM

Thanks for that but I do have that wireless on/off key (at F11) and the indicator light goes on and off  - it just doesn't turn off the wireless card.

Checking out your link the advice at #6 looks like a try - I'll do that next boot.

Edited by zzzz, 22 December 2015 - 04:26 AM.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 22 December 2015 - 11:18 AM

I'm really not well-experienced with the mechanical guts of laptops, I have done a couple of easy things but that's about it. If this persists it sounds like it may be a failed switch, but that's only a shot in the dark. When you set the switch to "off" it should mechanically break the circuit; if it does not then the only explanation I can think of is the switch is "shorting" because the contacts broke and are pressed together. Wish I could help you more. You might try Youtube....do a search for "(your make & model lap name) wifi switch not turn off" or some such. You might be surprised at what you come up with, I am sure that somewhere in the world others have had the same problem.

If you find the solution, please post back, I would like to know what you find out!

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users