Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

trouble with trying to up grade windows 10

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cobrahd1999

cobrahd1999

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 06:05 PM

When I Click on the Get windows 10 ICON at the bottom right of the screen I get an error message " This PC can not be upgraded to Windows 10, one or more things are incompatible. ATI Radeon express 1150 The manufacturer has not made your display adapter compatible with Windows 10. Windows 7, HP5750 small form Desktop. I been told I could upgrade to this graphic Card 

MSI Radeon HD 6450 DirectX 11 R6450-2GD3H/LP 2GB 64-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Passive Low Profile Video Card does any one know if this would solve the problem? I don't want to buy a new computer.

thanks for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 24 December 2015 - 06:26 AM

Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,796 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 24 December 2015 - 10:51 AM

What operating system do you have on the machine?  These all shipped with either XP or Vista, neither of which qualifies for free upgrade to Windows 10.

While I understand the need to economize and not wanting to buy another computer, the video card you are talking about already costs just over $50.  If you can't install it yourself, at least double that cost, probably a bit more.

Your hardware is now, by any measure, ancient.  If you find that you are paying something over $100 to accomplish this you really should consider buying another computer.  Even the lowest of the low end laptops (not netbooks, but actual laptops) or desktops will have technical specs far better than what you currently have and have hardware that isn't quite likely near the end of its service life.

Just consider very carefully your total cost to do what you propose versus buying another computer (which, if purchased as a desktop and just "the box" without a monitor can be quite inexpensive).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#4 cobrahd1999

cobrahd1999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:22 PM

Louis, I can't post it said, mybe I haven't post enough yet.

#5 cobrahd1999

cobrahd1999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:27 PM

Brian, I am running windows 7 I guess you missed it in my post lol.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,796 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:34 PM

Brian, I am running windows 7 I guess you missed it in my post lol.

I did miss that.   That being said, the rest of what I offered still stands.  There is a real cost of patching versus cost and benefit of buying new analysis to be done here.  If you absolutely can't afford it that settles the issue, but if it's a matter of hedging then be very circumspect about the whole thing.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#7 cobrahd1999

cobrahd1999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:48 PM

Brain, I can get an HP for $95 and the guy said it can run windows 10? What do you think and thanks for your fast replies.

#8 cobrahd1999

cobrahd1999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 01:05 PM

Thanks again.

Edited by cobrahd1999, 24 December 2015 - 01:06 PM.

#9 beep54

beep54

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 04:02 PM

As I am running an older machine that cannot upgrade to 10 (and like you, it is a graphics problem), I seriously suggest that you  just stay with 7. It is still a perfectly fine OS that will be supported probably until after your computer bites the dust, so there's that. 10 has it's plusses, but definitely some minus's. Of course, should you stay the course with 7, the next problem is just how to make MS stop nagging you, and believe me, it is a huge problem, even if you cannot upgrade.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,796 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 06:47 PM

First, I presume that $95 HP is used or refurbished, so I can't really advise.   One would have to know the technical specs, for a starter, then you'd need to decide whether you trust the person you're buying it from as far as accurately representing its condition.

Second, there is nothing wrong with staying with Windows 7 on older hardware where it's running just fine.  Given the age of the hardware under discussion here a decision to stay with Windows 7 would be entirely rational.  It's not likely to live past the end of support date for Windows 7, and even if it does, buy a replacement then.

Third, with the advent of GWX Control Panel it is not all that difficult at all to keep any of the updates for GWX off your machine and/or to remove those that are there.  The gentleman who created it has been doing a good job of keeping up with the latest GWX install updates and adding them to the protection it provides.  Also, since I have a machines with GWX on them, the hoopla about the infrequent, and they are infrequent, pop ups asking if you want to upgrade are about as overblown as anything I've ever seen.  If I have to dismiss one of these once every week to two weeks that's the most they've appeared.  Two seconds, tops.

Edited by britechguy, 24 December 2015 - 06:49 PM.

~ Lauren Bacall

#11 cobrahd1999

cobrahd1999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:53 PM

Updated to windows 10 by using the media creation tool download to flash drive with no problems. Don't hurt to give it a try.

Edited by cobrahd1999, 27 December 2015 - 12:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users