Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Sp2 Hangs Immediately When Enter Welcome Screen/desktop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 e191

e191

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:33 PM

as per title, it happen 2 my XP home edition PC.. wierdly, safe mode can enter desktop and do work as usual.. but when "start windows normally" or "last good configaration known".. it hangs immidiately after the welcome tone at the desktop.. n sumtimes at the welcome screen itself...

anyone would be kind and help me out in this??

btw i didnt download anything or do anything fishy with the PC.. n pls, i do not want to format my PC

ive done AV scan, Defrag, system restore.

evrything just stops.. evan the HDD i guess, coz no prosessing light (the 1 that alwez blink2)

thanx in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 05:53 AM

Do you know exactly when this problem began? (what date)

If you do - go to safe mode and choose safe mode with command prompt.

Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Follow the directions on screen and choose a date that predeeds the onset of the problem.

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 06:43 AM

Since you do not want to do a re-installation of Windows do you have the Windows Install or recovery disk for the computer? If you do then there is a repair-install procedure that is non-destructive that should work but I suggest to backup all of your data to another media like CD-R's or DVD first.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install = http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

This may be your only option for repairing this computer with out a full re-install and I would suggest printing the article for reference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users