Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot find Homegroup password in Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 athegn

athegn

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 11:23 AM

I am trying to join a Homegroup.

When I try to join an already setup Homegroup I am told which accoun t on which machine holds the password. I go there but none of the Homegroup options are view password; all I have are "Change advanced sharing settings" and Start the Homegroup troubleshooter"

Where can I view the password?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 11:56 AM

You can "View or Print the Homegroup Password" under Control Panel -> Homegroup if and only if that machine is already a part of the Homegroup.  If it is not, that option will not be shown because the machine that's not a part of the Homegroup already has no stored password to show.

Make sure you're looking for the Homegroup password using a machine that you're absolutely certain is already a part of the Homegroup.

Another wrinkle can be whether your network connection is set up on a given machine as "discoverable" (Windows 10) or with "Find devices and content" on (Windows 8).  These are the rough equivalent of classing a given network connection as a Home or Work connection under Windows 7.  If your network connection is considered to be "public" (which means this option is not turned on) then you'll show nothing related to the Homegroup, either, even if one exists on your network.  The "discoverable" attribute is under Advanced Options in Windows 10 and the "Find devices and content" option can be found by right clicking on the connection in the Network panel of Windows 8.

Edited by britechguy, 21 December 2015 - 12:02 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 athegn

athegn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:12 PM

Thank you for your reply.

I went back to the machine that I was told had the Homegroup setup and found that the troubleshooter said no longer part of a Homegroup; one wonders why I was being told that the machine had a Homegroup setup when it was not?

So resetup a Homegroup, on different machine, now have password and all machines on this router connect, including the one was was supposed to be setup already.

I may have trouble getting a machine connected via a different router, even if that router is fed from the same router as the other four machines.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:17 PM

I've never tried setting up a Homegroup with the router configuration you describe, although I have used a router with DNS disabled as a range extender of sorts that just passed everything through to the main router.

Depending on what the Homegroup actually checks to determine whether you're on "the same network" or not will determine whether it accepts this arrangement as a single network (which to my mind it really is) or two networks.

Do report back if you get that far.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 DGDanforth

DGDanforth

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 09 November 2016 - 08:10 PM

I have a Windows XP machine (MAC) talking to a Windows 10 machine (HP).

Bytes are being exchanged between both of them as viewed by status on

both machines.  So that is good.

However, the MAC can not open the HP shared folder.  It says access denied.

On the HP machine I have set let HomeGroup handle connections.

I have NOT joined the homegroup.  It says I have an invitation to join it but

when I attempt to do that it asks for a  password which I don't know.  I am

administrator of both machines  They are connected by a single ethernet

crossover cable plugged into the RJ45 slots of each machine.

Who set up the homegroup?  This is a new HP machine I bought last week.

How can I give the MAC access to the HP.  The "share" folder on the HP

has allow Everyone to have access.

I am dead in the water at this point.

-Doug Danforth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users