Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CCleaner..To clean or not to clean

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:07 AM

CCleaner..To clean or not to clean

..I have created a new system restore point and can backup cleaning and restore fromAttached File  ccleaner scan.PNG   90.58KB   0 downloads CCleaner...Should I do it ...? Please see attached clip of CC scan results....Also thoughts on using disk-scan to remove old version files. Probably gonna get a good chewing out,,,"not broke,,leave alone"... Thanks for any advice...Jim

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 21 December 2015 - 08:40 AM.
Moved from Win 10 Support to All Other Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:19 AM

Hi there,

Although CCleaner is a reputable cleaning software, registry cleaning in general is not recommended.

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

Just stick with the file cleaner function and leave the registry alone.

#3 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:30 AM

Hi there,

Although CCleaner is a reputable cleaning software, registry cleaning in general is not recommended.

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

Just stick with the file cleaner function and leave the registry alone.

Thank you for your reply Mr. Alexstrasza. I seem to have a Bad habit of wanting to put cleaning ahead of good common sense...I will just leave it alone as you suggest....Thanks for your kind reply....Jim

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:43 AM

You are welcome :)

I'm female by the way :lol:

#5 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:48 AM

You are welcome :)

I'm female by the way :lol:

Oh My,,,!!!...so very sorry. My Oklahoma Redneck is showing..

#6 espinozaj140

espinozaj140

• Banned Spammer
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 09:23 AM

Its good that you have created a restore point. As Alexstrasza mentioned, its better to leave the registry alone. Another piece of information i would like to add is, if you are using system restore, launch it from safe mode.

#7 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 09:38 AM

Its good that you have created a restore point. As Alexstrasza mentioned, its better to leave the registry alone. Another piece of information i would like to add is, if you are using system restore, launch it from safe mode.

That I did not know....You do mean create the restore point IN safe mode...  (Instructions please)  Correct...?    Thanks...Jim

#8 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 09:50 AM

My Bad... I do know how to start in safe mode...Just took a bit to soak in....Thanks to all...Jim

#9 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 09:55 AM

If my understanding of System Restore is correct, using it in Normal Mode or Safe Mode won't make any difference.

It might help if you cannot boot into Normal Mode and you use it from Safe Mode or the Recovery Environment to roll back to a date before the problem though.

#10 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:01 AM

If my understanding of System Restore is correct, using it in Normal Mode or Safe Mode won't make any difference.

It might help if you cannot boot into Normal Mode and you use it from Safe Mode or the Recovery Environment to roll back to a date before the problem though.

It seems HP safe-mode must be activated just as your post suggest. I tried and would not boot from repeated F8 .  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03439317... I definitely  need to study this.   Thanks to all...Jim

#11 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:31 PM

In my opinion, programs like CCleaner should be avoided (and I'm not even referring to the registry cleaner yet - which you shouldn't even touch with a ten-foot pole). A lot of what it deletes can be done manually, IF really not needed. I haven't noticed any significant improvement after using such tools. It can sometimes delete stuff still needed and cause you more pain than good.

#12 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,708 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:53 PM

In my opinion, programs like CCleaner should be avoided (and I'm not even referring to the registry cleaner yet - which you shouldn't even touch with a ten-foot pole). A lot of what it deletes can be done manually, IF really not needed. I haven't noticed any significant improvement after using such tools. It can sometimes delete stuff still needed and cause you more pain than good.

I shall have to take strong exception to the final statement.  I have been using CCleaner on multiple machines and versions of Windows for well in excess of a decade now and have never, even once, had it delete anything that caused any functional difficulty.

It's a far better option for people who have no real sophistication at all regarding what should or should not (or can and cannot) be safely removed to use a tool crafted by people who do have that sophistication.

Even though I've stopped using the registry cleaning feature, I can also say the same thing about it having never harmed a system in all the years I did use that particular function.  I stopped mostly because it didn't seem to get any sort of gain/improvement as a result of using it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#13 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 01:09 PM

I shall have to take strong exception to the final statement.  I have been using CCleaner on multiple machines and versions of Windows for well in excess of a decade now and have never, even once, had it delete anything that caused any functional difficulty.

It's a far better option for people who have no real sophistication at all regarding what should or should not (or can and cannot) be safely removed to use a tool crafted by people who do have that sophistication.

Fair enough. But, why exactly did you need the program for? Did you notice any significant improvement? If people simply need to cover their browsing tracks, those can be safely removed from within the browser. Even better, have history cleared on exit or just don't allow anything to be saved.

Edited by Phantom010, 21 December 2015 - 01:09 PM.

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 01:15 PM

Guys & Gals, I use ccenhancer and ccleaner to: at every cold and warm boot, ccleaner deletes FF, Chrome & IE cache files, nothing but cache files.  Having done so now the past few days, my FF's old problem of many web sites not loading, not loading, not loading -- has all but disappeared.  Browsers seem to load tabs faster and more accurately.

Wogg, my vote for ccenhancer and ccleaner for cleaning cache files - a very big YES.

[I see Britechguy and I posted at the same time  :)  ]

Edited by RolandJS, 21 December 2015 - 01:19 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#15 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,708 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 01:16 PM

Phantom010,

I'd say most of us these days don't "need" the program for anything, but many of us prefer to keep our disk drives as free of "deadware" (which is what I call the myriad files and folders that are orphaned out there from installs/uninstalls, caching, etc.) as we can.

Tools like CCleaner do a marvelous job with getting rid of those files quickly safely, and easily.

I can also say I really prefer to use it to clear browser cache, whether for a single browser or all of them that I use.  The full browser cache clearing process under Chrome when you choose "from the beginning of time" can, and often does, take ages.  I can do an entire CCleaner full cleaning run in well under the time it takes Chrome to clear it's own cache.

I also love it when I want or need to tweak Startup programs.  It makes that process much easier than Windows own tools do.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users