Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bleeping Computer homepage.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 07:40 AM

Hi all,

I’m wondering if the Bleeping Computer homepage coding has changed to a format that no longer supports Windows XP.  This computer is setup as a dual-boot XP/Linux Mint machine.  When I boot to XP, only the Bleeping Computer homepage is totally non-viewable.  Using either IE or Chrome, the homepage appears as posted in my pictures.  However, after I leave the homepage, everything else appears perfectly.  Yet, when I boot to Linux, all pages appear and function properly using Chrome or Firefox.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

Thanks.  :thumbup2:

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 21 December 2015 - 05:27 PM.
Moved from XP to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 07:47 AM

It's actually the same for me, and this since last Thursday or Friday. I only noticed it at work, didn't try at home. The issue is that I cannot connect to BleepStatic.com which contains all the pictures, scripts, CSS, etc. I think it's an issue on my end, but I'm not sure.

0N6B8OZ.png

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:04 AM

Thanks for your input Aura.  Very strange indeed.  I don't use XP much anymore for obvious reasons, but I am curious what has changed.

Good luck with your issue.   :thumbup2:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,555 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:34 AM

Not so fast :)...I use IE/XP most of the time to access this site and I am using it now.

Are you talking about the Forum homepage...or the site homepage?

Normally, I directly access a given forum...and then go to individual forums, as time goes on..  On several occasions (2-3 times), I have been prevented access by the appearance of adware blocking my access...but I realized what was happening and eliminated that.

OTOH...the redesigned BC website homepage...presents a problem for IE8/XP...while being easily accessed via Firefox without issue.  It's been that way for me for weeks.  I can get to the page but it doesn't display properly, some items are missing.  FWIW:  I experience the same thing on many websites where IE8 is no longer supported and I just use Firefox to access those sites.

I just took a look at the graphics you provided...appears to me that IE8 is the culprit.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 21 December 2015 - 08:39 AM.

#5 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:41 AM

Yup, IE 8 is definitely the culprit. I haven't used IE 8 for years, but just tried it for BP. I get the same pages. Firefox works perfectly. 

It's perfectly understandable for IE 8, which we shouldn't even be using anymore, but I don't know why Chrome would show the same problem, unless you're using an older version. Are you using the latest version of Google Chrome?

Edited by Phantom010, 21 December 2015 - 10:41 AM.

#6 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 11:21 AM

I totally agree that IE 8 is one of the culprits, and I would have ignored it except for the fact that Chrome displays exactly the same as IE 8.  And yes, Chrome is completely up to date.  Also, it is only the site homepage, not the forum page, that is causing problems.

Just for the heck of it I am going to install Firefox and give it a try.  This isn't a problem worth pursuing, but I am curious as to why this is happening.  Perhaps some setting is wrong with this computer.  I can assure you that malware is not an issue.   :wink:

#7 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 11:46 AM

Okay guys, I just installed Firefox and it works perfectly.  The BC site page opens correctly, and everything else works exactly as it should.  As a side note, I also uninstalled and re-installed Chrome, but the problem persisted.  Very strange about Chrome because it has always worked.

Maybe this is a subtle message from Lawrence telling us to stop using Windows XP.  :lol:

Attached Files

#8 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:01 PM

Google will be pulling the plug on XP in April 2016. Until then, maybe they're simply not that thorough in making it stable for XP?

http://www.cnet.com/news/google-finally-pulling-the-plug-on-chrome-for-windows-xp/

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 01:02 PM

For those who cannot get the BleepingComputer homepage to work on Google Chrome, can you use the "Inspect Element" feature and tell me if the connections to bleepstatic.com returns an ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED message?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#10 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 01:32 PM

Hey Aura,

If I did this correctly here is what  was returned:

ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

If this is not what you need, please give me a bit more info on how to do what you asked.

Edited by MalwareMutilator, 21 December 2015 - 01:32 PM.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 01:34 PM

This is what I needed, thanks :) The error is different than mine, and I think I understand why you're getting it, not 100% sure.

unite_blue.png

#12 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 01:50 PM

Phanton010,

I was aware of that, but thanks.  Problem is, they are pulling the plug on Linux 32 bit versions as well.  They are, however, going to continue support for 64 bit versions.  Go figure.   :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users