Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD out of nowhere, Win 7 Pro

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 05:18 AM

OK so, here's the gist of things; I want to be sure this wont happen again in the near future. So hopefully even after I take this rig up to the local smallshop to ensure I did everything right I want to be sure it wont happen again. But here's my system info

Laptop maker: Dell

Model: Latitude E6400 series {E6420}

2nd Gen Intel i5 CPU

System age {hardware} I am assuming at least one MAYBE two years old

OS age: 7 months {OS was activated on 17 June 2015}

OS of Windows 7 Enterprise was originally on the machine

OS is OEM refurbished

I have BlueScreenView; according to BSV my cause of the crash was the graphics driver, in this case igdkmd64.sys this is a Intel graphics chipset. in this case Intel HD 3000 Mobile graphics chipset. There was according to Intel, a update available for the driver.

Now, let me get to how exactly this occurred out of nowhere

I ended a movie in PowerDVD, all was find and dandy up to that point, I had assumed at the sudden crash that it was related to either 1; memory was flat hot {brand new machine, why is it running at 77%+ constantly ? 4GB ram should be more then enough for what I do with this rig!} Anyway, I ended the movie, and using the keyboard shortcuts like I always do I hit S which in PowerDVD is the shortcut key for STOP to stop the film, I was going to hit CON+E to eject the DVD, but before I could the screen went blank then quickly blue.

The desired tools to download wont download for me {one leads to a dead link} and it wont let me upload an attachment to the minidump file in question.

I simply want to be sure I fixed it by updating the device drivers 

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 05:49 PM

Excessively high temperatures can cause BSOD's and can show results that seem to indicate the video card (if the heat causes the video to crash).

First off, temps of 77ºC are pretty hot - but I wonder if they've even gotten hotter.

Please monitor the temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Please blow out the laptop's vents with canned air.  DO NOT USE an air compressor or a vacuum - as this may damage the system physically

Also, you may want to use a laptop cooling pad to help keep the temperatures down.

FYI - usually the Intel graphics card doesn't have a temperature sensor, so you have to infer the temps from other sensors in the system.

To test this, please run these free diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

As we wonder about the video, please run the video stress tests first.

Next, it never occurs out of nowhere.  But without reports we cannot tell much.

Updating the video drivers was the proper thing to do - but if it's a hardware/temperature problem, then updated software can't fix that.

Please provide this information so we can provide a complete analysis - try this new app (from a friend of mine):  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.

If unable to upload the .zip, then upload it to a free-file hosting service like OneDrive or DropBox

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users