Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC acting very strange

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sharkstertheshark

sharkstertheshark

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:09 AM

Hey guys, i am a bit new here and I am still very uncertain if this is the right forum to put this and I am sorry if i posted it in the wrong place.

So basically, I booted my PC and started Steam and all was alright until I started talking to a friend and suddenly every screen went white and the back ground went black until the entire pc went black before returning to normal. Steam crashed afterwards if I am remembering the sequence of events correctly. I absolutely not certain what the hell this is since I am paranoid about my PC's security and have Bitdefender, Malwarebytes and recently SuperAntiSpyware.

My PC has been acting odd since I upgraded to Windows 10 for DX12.

Edited by sharkstertheshark, 21 December 2015 - 12:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 espinozaj140

espinozaj140

• Banned Spammer
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 09:35 AM

Hi sharkstertheshark,

As a rule of thumb, its better not to have multiple security software installed. Can you please check the event viewer for any errors. Also ensure that the display drivers are up to date.

Regards,

EJ

#3 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:58 AM

Sounds like your video card driver crashed and restarted itself.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,660 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:09 PM

I concur with chalup.  The combination of security programs you list should not have any conflicts with one another.  Bitdefender is the sole anti-virus in that list and the other two are on-demand scanners (or at least I think both are, Malwarebytes free is) that are recognized as legitimate by every antivirus program I know and so don't cause "fight to the death" conflicts.

The problems with Windows 10 and drivers are rife.  Go to your manufacturer's support website for your particular model and check through all the drivers they have listed for it to see if there are newer versions than you currently have installed, paying particular attention to those that specifically note that they are compatible with Windows 10.

Edited by britechguy, 21 December 2015 - 12:10 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 02:10 PM

Hi sharkstertheshark,

As a rule of thumb, its better not to have multiple security software installed. Can you please check the event viewer for any errors. Also ensure that the display drivers are up to date.

Regards,

EJ

The security programs that Sarkstertheshark has installed will not conflict with each other.  Installing multiple antimalware programs is not suggested, but can be done.  Antivirus programs is a different matter entirely.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Using more than one anti-virus program is not advisable. Why? The primary concern with doing so is due to Windows resource management and significant conflicts that can arise especially when they are running in real-time protection mode simultaneously. Even if one of them is disabled for use as a stand-alone on demand scanner, it can affect the other and cause conflicts. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up regardless of whether real-time protection is enabled or not. Thus, using multiple anti-virus solutions can result in kernel mode conflicts causing system instability, catastrophic crashes, slow performance and waste vital system resources. When actively running in the background while connected to the Internet, each anti-virus may try to update their definition databases at the same time. As the programs compete for resources required to download the necessary files this often can result in sluggish system performance or unresponsive behavior.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 05:29 PM

Which version of BitDefender?  I've seen a couple of instances over at the MalwareBytes forum where BitDefender 2016 and MalwareBytes don't play nicely together.

Those with these problems relate that BitDefender 2015 works just fine.  You may want to try installing BitDefender 2015 to see if that helps.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users