Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home heating delight!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:02 PM

About 6 years ago I decided to retire our 40+ year old cast iron boiler with a Beckett gun, the prior season we used about 1200 gallons at near $5 per gallon.   After a ton of reading I decided on a Buderus after having thoughts of Biasi with a Riello gun which a close friend had just bought.  Super glad I went with the Buderus, I best him by at the very least 120-125 gallons a season.  The first season we dropped to just above 700 gallons, I at that point insulated the very cold basement.  The old boilers pipe kept it much warmer; the Buderus stack temp is very cool by comparison.  I put 2” foam blue board on all the walls raising the temp 15 degrees F.  Went another season and decided to ditch the separate oil fired hot water, I am now very pleased that that last season which was very cold I only burned 550 gallons.  No question a tremendous savings.  The cost was nothing to sneeze at roughly $10,000 that includes boiler, insulated chimney liner, new 330 oil tank and me insulating the basement.  We are older than most and keep the day temps lows 70’s 65 night.  IMO if you are building or upgrading do the research, the cost of upping your game is roughly 20% but gets real cheap as the years go by.  Added note I had considered switching to gas, very glad I did not the US is starting to export gas with future cost projections passing that of oil.  Buderus is a division of Bosch.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,918 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 07:14 PM

It is always surprising how long-lived equipment becomes relatively less efficient as time goes by. It may be as efficient as it ever was but loses out to newer technology. Still you have the consolation of knowing that you should save yourself the price of the installation in about four years. 500 gallons at $5 per = $2500. Nice saving.

We put in a new gas boiler in August 2014 and according to the usage statement from our supplier our gas consumption went down by 30%, and as far as I know there have been no changes in our habits.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users