Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Windows Xp Home Or Windows Xp Professional

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MrSnausage_*

Guest_MrSnausage_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 March 2004 - 10:13 PM

Untitled Document

Windows XP Home or Windows XP Professional: Which is the best choice?

A lot of people are confused when it comes time to upgrade their computer and do not know if they should upgrade to Windows XP Home or Windows XP Professional. For most people the answer is simple, XP home, as it is more than sufficient for their needs. Some people do, though, gain the extra benefit to the features found only in XP Professional.

The underlying operating system for both versions is the same, and with XP Home being more affordable it makes sense to choose that as your home upgrade. There are, though, a few extra options that the Professional version provides that Home does not, which could make Pro a more attractive choice for you..

The most commonly used extra features that XP Professional gives are as follows:

1. Remote Desktop
  2. Encrypted File Systems
  3. NTFS File System
  4. The ability to connect to office network.

Remote Desktop gives you the ability to connect to your computer remotely and use the Windows XP Professional computer as if you were there. When you are connected you will be presented with a graphical representation of what you would see as if you were actually in front of your computer. That means if you lived in New York, and you leave your computer on when you go to California, from California you would be able to connect to your computer and use it almost as if you were in front of it. This feature, in my opinion, is the only reason why someone should upgrade to Windows XP Professional. If you travel a lot, or need to connect to your computer remotely, Remote Desktop is an excellent tool to have at your disposal.

Encrypted File Systems gives you the ability to encrypt portions or your entire hard drive so that your data is secure and can not be read by others. This encrypted data is secured with a passphrase so that only you, the user, can access the data. Though this is definitely a useful tool, the majority of home users will have no need for this tool. It is more useful for those people who have laptops, and are afraid it may get stolen.

The NTFS File System was introduced into Windows on the Windows NT Server platforms. It has a higher level of security than the file structure found in XP Home and allows you to restrict what users can see what data. Once again, a home user most likely would not find this useful unless they share their computer with multiple people and do not want those people to be able to see their data.

The last feature of XP Pro is the ability to connect to Office Networks such as an NT server. XP home does not have built-in support for company networks.

Therefore, unless you find any of these features to be an integral function for your computer, you can save money and get the exact same performance from XP Home edition.

--
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,615 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2004 - 02:48 PM

I'm a little confused by this:

The most commonly used extra features that XP Professional gives are as follows:
1. Remote Desktop
3. NTFS File System

I'm running XP Home on NTFS.

Also, my understanding was that Pro had more extensive security "permissions" than Home. But Home set up for multiple users (the situation I'm in) has the ability to "Make this folder private" in the sharing tab of folder properties that will deny access to that folder to other users.

Could you go into that area in a little more detail. I've notice a bit of confusion on the net about what kind of restrictions can be enabled on XP & the answers to some of the questions assumed that XP Pro was being run.

Thanks guys. :thumbsup: It's a good subject that I know a lot of people are curious about.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#3 dudeman

dudeman

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 16 April 2004 - 02:38 PM

1. Remote Desktop
3. NTFS File System

With Home you can Remote desktop, and have ntfs. You can also connect to an office network but not a domain. It also does have some type of file encryption but not as many options as pro. The big use for it is allowing you to become part of a domain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users