Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

P2P software and some sort of license manager

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Nithren985

Nithren985

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 05:27 PM

I've recently installed Autodesk Maya and along with it came Akamai NetSession and something known as Macrovision/FLEXnet. I doubt that this is any sort of malware as Autodesk is a multinational corporation but I always try to limit the amount of bloat or useless programs I have on my computer. A quick Google search doesn't turn up much and the Autodesk EULA just scares me even more. 

"12. Autodesk download technology may use the Akamai NetSession Interface, which may utilize a limited amount of your upload bandwidth and PC resources to connect you to a peered network and improve speed and reliability of Web content. The Akamai NetSession Interface is secure client-side networking technology that harnesses the power of your computer to deliver software and media available on the Akamai network. Your Akamai NetSession Interface works collectively with other Akamai NetSession Interfaces, along with thousands of Akamai edge servers, and runs as a networking service utilizing a limited amount of your computer's available resources."

The EULA doesn't mention Macrovision/FLEXnet. 

It looks like NetSession is located under: %ProgramFiles%\common files\akamai\netsession_win_b427739.dll.

And Macrovision/FLEXnet is in: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FlexNet Publisher and C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet

So far I've uninstalled Akamai NetSession but it's left Netsession_win under the startup tab which I've disabled from running. There's no way to remove Macrovision/FLEXnet so I assume it's part of the actual license management for Maya and Autodesk products. Is there a way to get rid of everything that's unnecessary here from my computer? Or is all of this stuff part of the application? I don't want any sort of P2P programs on my computer. I'm seriously scared of getting malware that way.

Thanks for the help! :D

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I'm on Windows 10 64-bit.  

Edited by Nithren985, 20 December 2015 - 05:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 05:13 PM

Akamai Technologies is a U.S. Internet Content Delivery Network (CDN) responsible for serving approximately 15-20 percent of all web traffic. Akamai operates a network of servers around the world and rents space to customers who want their web sites to work faster by distributing content from locations close to the user. A CDN receives data and places it on various legitimate servers all over the world. This allows the content (images, music, movies, etc) to load faster because it is delivered to the end user from the nearest server holding the content. Akamai has several CDN networks and akamai.net; akamaiedge.net; akamaihd.net are a few of them.

Akamai also delivers content utilizing a form of peer-to-peer networking and its technology is integrated into other software applications. For example, when downloading large files, users may be prompted to install the Akamai NetSession Interface which is essentially a download manger used to reduce download times.

What is Akamai NetSession Interface

Akamai NetSession Interface is a secure application that may be installed on your computer to improve the speed, reliability, and efficiency for downloads and streams from the Internet. It is used by many software and media publishers to deliver files or streams to you.

Akamai NetSession Interface Overview

Akamai NetSession Interface is a tool that can help you you enjoy faster, more reliable downloads from a variety of sources you choose. When you download software from companies like Autodesk, or other companies offering PDF files, documents, and media streams, there’s a good chance that download is powered by Akamai NetSession Interface. The NetSession Interface is installed on your computer with your permission and can be removed at any time.

FlexNet Publisher

FlexNet Publisher (formerly known as FLEXlm) is a software license manager from Flexera Software which implements license management and is intended to be used in corporate environments to provide floating licenses to multiple end users of computer software.

FlexNet is also needed for Adobe software such as PhotoShop Extended, InDesign, Illustrator CS3 and AutoCAD.

BTW...the practice of using any torrent, file sharing, peer-to-peer (P2P) program or visiting such sites is a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, exposure of personal information, and identity theft.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users