Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Newbie Q & A

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 05:01 PM

Hello All,

First, I promise that in general I will search the forums and the web before asking most questions here, but I am certain that there will be some exceptions, and this next bit is one of them.  I thought it would be easier to ask those "in the know" since the answer is likely to be very quick and easy or an instant, "no, can't do that."

I'm using Linux Mint 17.2

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really like the way that Android (or at least Android Kit Kat) has allowed me to customize my login (well, lock, but same idea) screen to contain a message of my choosing.  I have it display, "Please call {insert my phone number here} if you find this device," which has come in really handy (only once, but still).

I would love to do the same thing at the Linux Login screen so that if I should somehow accidentally leave my laptop somewhere (no, it's never happened, and probably won't, but . . .) it would display a similar message on the login screen.

Can one do this and, if so, how?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,071 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 05:48 PM

To a point mints login screen can be customized, look here:

http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2014/10/better-looking-mdm-setup/

Now if you switched distros this kind of customization can vary and there are login windows you cannot even tweak (like GDM which in my opinion is total crap) and there are login windows that can be tweaked but have limitations (such as SDDM and lightdm, I like both but they do have pros and cons)

Edited by MadmanRB, 20 December 2015 - 05:51 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,865 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:02 PM

Found this Brian, unfortunately it is old like a lot of linuxmint Tut's but might work the same.

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1336

Edited by pcpunk, 20 December 2015 - 06:04 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 07:24 PM

I'm using Linux Mint 17.2

When specifying which OS you use, in the case of distros like Linux Mint which have multiple flavors, I would suggest being specific (eg: Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon 64bit). In some cases, it can matter, and because not all Linux Mint users have tried all flavors they may not know if it will/won't matter.

Please call {insert my phone number here} if you find this device

Can one do this and, if so, how?

Yes. You have 2 options:
1. Find a custom theme for MDM (the login-screen program), on the net, which has this feature. Make sure you trust the author.
2. Build a custom theme for MDM that has this feature. You don't have to write it from scratch; you can make a fork of a theme that's already installed.

I don't use Linux Mint much myself, nore have I ever done any MDM theming, but I like your idea, and since I do have Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon 64bit in a virtual machine, for fun I've written steps for creating a modified duplicate of the default theme, and applying it. This modified theme will display your desired message. You however, are using Linux Mint 17.2 (which I've not used), so I cannot say if you would be able to use the steps verbatim. The steps should at least be able to serve as a general guide. Steps are provided in a plain-text file below if you're interested.

Download Link:
SHA-512:6d12ea948393cf1554a01550ad33956ca65205891856531a375d080b707a32b0bde6845ec56f5da96f2b60921699858ca4fc7c7b1ec65d56325b4d739fb8f5d7

Screenshot:

zW3GS4o.png

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,252 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 07:31 PM

Try this.

http://www.unix.com/unix-for-dummies-questions-and-answers/89777-i-want-change-login-failure-message-login-incorrect.html

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• Topic Starter

• 8,142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 10:09 PM

Thanks to all.  Much appreciated.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users