Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win10 Login Screen - Can it show a message?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 04:56 PM

Hello All,

I really like the way that Android (or at least Android Kit Kat) has allowed me to customize my login (well, lock, but same idea) screen to contain a message of my choosing.  I have it display, "Please call {insert my phone number here} if you find this device," which has come in really handy (only once, but still).

I would love to do the same thing at the Windows 10 Login screen so that if I should somehow accidentally leave my laptop somewhere (no, it's never happened, and probably won't, but . . .) it would display a similar message on the login screen.

Can one do this and, if so, how?

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:07 PM

If it works in a similar way to 8.1 almost certainly. When we recently bought my wife a laptop running 8.1 she really disliked the upside down rainbow effect standard log-in screen background so I changed it for one of her photos.

You might need to do a little photoshopping to insert the text you want on an image, but that is fairly easy, you could do it in 'Paint' if nothing else is available, and the option to change the graphic is available through 'Personalisation' if I remember correctly.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:22 PM

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/displaying-customized-start-message-windows-8

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,514 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 10:18 PM

Thank you.  Much appreciated.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,514 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:21 PM

Agouti,

Thanks very much.   I followed the instructions for the registry edit option at the link you posted and it works like a charm.  I don't use regedit very often at all, but there are certain things that I will do it for and this one works beautifully!

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 05:10 PM

Just an afterword.

I was mistaken above - I did it through the 'PC Settings' tile in the tiled interface. It is very easy from there to change the appearance of the 'Lock screen'.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,514 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 06:13 PM

Chris,

On Windows 10 "Personalization" is available via the main Settings app and "Lock Screen" is one of the options to personalize.  This appears to be the replacement for the Windows 8 PC Settings app.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users