Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer won't turn on, it has blown 2 fuses. How do I fix it?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 HowToCameron

HowToCameron

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 04:24 PM

Hi my name is Cameron and I joined the pcmasterrace in January, I spent £500 on a "budget" PC with an AMD FX-630, R9 270X and Evga 500w Power Supply. I only noted the important components linking to this issue. One day I was playing on my computer, like I normally do and we had a power cut, the socket went off. In our rented house. I've had a few issues in the past with this socket. With the socket not working at all, but not like this. I waited about 10 mins of the computer being completely off. NOTE: when the computer suddenly turned off there was no bang, or noise. It just went off. After the 10 mins I turned the socket on, and the computer didn't come on. No bangs or noise. The fuse was blown. I changed the fuse, it could of been faulty to my monitor fuse. It blew that fuse too. The computer didn't come on. It's been about a week and because I moved house, to a different socket and new wiring I haven't came to fixing the computer. I've bought new fuses of 13A (which is what was recommended from the site) and I'm yet to try them. For the record, my computer has ran fine all this time without any issues at all, the computer is perfectly wired and non of my components seem to not work. The power supply has not exploded, so presumably it still works. Please suggest any ideas regarding how to fix this issue and what maybe causing it.

In advanced thanks for people who have spent the time to read and answer this post, in this amazing community. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 15,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 04:48 PM

I'm guessing you mean an integral PSU fuse, possibly in the IEC lead socket? If the PSU is blowing its own protection fuse, it has failed. There doesn't have to be an indication like a bang or smell when this happens.

If this is the situation, and the system was purchased new in January, it should still be under warranty?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 04:54 PM

2nd that!  House fuse means it has shorted out.  I am thinking you did not open the PSU its fuse is internal.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 05:42 PM

Do NOT use 13 amp UK plug fuses in power leads for a PC. 5 amp is more than plenty for most computers (a 500 watt power supply even at full load should be pulling less than 3 amps at 240V).

Try a different power cord on the PC - if that also blows fuses then your power supply is probably dead. In that case you will only find out if anything else has been damaged after the power supply has been replaced.

Edited by rqt, 20 December 2015 - 05:49 PM.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:36 PM

If the PSU is blowing its own fuse I would replace the PSU. The fact it has a fuse means chances are when your socket went out it was because of a power surge, and chances are good that the PSU is all that was blown, but you wont know that for sure until you replace the PSU. I would also invest in a high quality surge protector to protect against this in the future.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users