Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezing Every 5 seconds to 1 minute

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 alextehbomb

alextehbomb

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 01:11 PM

Hello!

I was using the Auto-Overclock settings on my motherboard (Asus M5AR97 2.0) and it moved my CPU clock from 3.9Ghz to 4.2Ghz, which ran stable for a long time. I have now run into a problem where my computer is CONSTANTLY FREEZING (it's hard to even type this post). I reset the MB to factory defaults, re-clocked my CPU back to 3.9Ghz, reseated and cleaned all of my hardware, and reinstalled windows on newly formatted drives. I do not think this is a software issue anymore because I have completely reformatted everything and nothing has changed.

Here are my current specs:

CPU: FX-6350

GPU: MSI HD 7770

MB: Asus M5AR97 2.0

SSD: Kingston 120GB SSDNOW

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB (2x8GB)

PSU: ULTRA 650W ATX Power Supply 80+ Bronze

The CPU was running hot and overheating before I reinstalled windows, so I moved my parts into an NZXT Phantom with every fan slot filled, now all parts running at around 20 Celcius. 

This is an extremely frustrating issue. All help is greatly appreciated as my knowledge base has been completely used up and I have no idea where to go from here.

Speccy List: http://puu.sh/m2A3K/dcbe8d1846.png

HWINFO: http://puu.sh/m2A06/5e7e9e089c.png

Thoughts:

- Is my SSD failing?

- Is my Motherboard screwed?

- is this a GPU problem (newest drivers installed)

EDIT: Just downloaded and used the Kingston SSD Toolbox, it says the drive is in good health and the diagnostic test says all is good but I'm not sure if I'm convinced. There are so many plausible problems running through my head that I have no idea about anything anymore  :smash:   

- http://i.imgur.com/8Xd8KQi.png 

EDIT2: Just flashed my BIOS to the latest version, waiting to see if the computer freezes again.

Edited by alextehbomb, 20 December 2015 - 02:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:26 AM

Auto overclocking always raises the voltage more than I would recommend. I would learn to manually overclock. You may get higher speeds at lower voltages which will increase the life of your components.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users