Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovering deleted pictures on a Samsung S5 mini.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Pabangue

Pabangue

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:46 PM

Let me start by saying I know nothing about what a driver is, so excuse the lack of any basic knowledge. 

So a few days ago I accidentally deleted all the photos in my phone, the reason being that I'm a moron. I then found out there are computer programs that help recover this information as long as it hasn't been overwritten in the phone memory. I downloaded three of them: Asoftech Data Recovery, Asoftech Photo Recovery and Photo Rescue PC. For any of them to work the phone has to be recognized as a driver by the computer, which it doesn't. The online solution is to extract the SD memory and connect it directly, which I cannot do since the information is in the phone's internal memory.

My phone is a Samsung S5 Mini and my laptop ideapad S510p running Windows 8.1.

¿Is there anything I can do to solve this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 01:11 PM

This response could get very, very complicated, so I'll start with basics:

- When you plug your phone into your computer using the cable that came with it, what happens?

* Does the computer recognize it and does it show up in File Explorer?

- If so, are you able to open the device and browse what typically shows up as the "Internal Storage" folder?

That information is a bare minimum starting point.

And not to rub salt in what I am sure is an open wound, but this unfortunate incident should demonstrate the importance of uploading your photos from your phone to your computer for safekeeping.  They need not be deleted from the phone when this is done.  You might also want to tweak the camera settings on your phone to save photos to the microSD card instead, which makes it a bit easier to pop the card into your computer's card reader as a way to copy the photos over.  Then they'll get backed up like your other photos are when you do a backup on your computer (and if you're not doing that, run out the day after Christmas and buy yourself a backup drive at fire sale prices and start doing regular backups).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 Pabangue

Pabangue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 01:18 PM

Hi Brian aka britechguy

thanks for the advice regarding future storage precautions. When I plug the phone to the computer the computer does recognize it. It appears with the name "phone" and I am able to browse through the storage folders inside it. I assumed the problem had to do with drivers because I read the name of the phone should appear next to a letter,  something like Phone (E:), like it does with Windows8_OS (C:) or LENOVO (D:), meaning that the hardware is connected as (or with?) a driver. This does not happen, I only read "Phone".

Pablo 

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,007 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 01:46 PM

I presume you're using either Windows 8 or Windows 10.   At one time the drive letter designations would show up for any connected device that had storage associated with it, but that's no longer true.  I only have drive letters for my actual hard drive, SD cards inserted in the SD card reader, and thumb drives.

The longer you keep using your phone the more possible it is that the "disc" space where your photos were stored will be overwritten.

Take a look at this Google Play page with Photo Recovery Apps.  I was initially going to suggest using a Windows file recovery program treating the phone's DCIM folder as a drive, but since there are native apps for Android that appear to perform the exact function you're looking for I'd go with one of the apps native to Android first.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 12:35 AM

You may download Easeus mobisaver for Android the free version to see if it can get any of the photos back. If do, you can then have to purchase the Pro version. The free version has limitation in size of recovered data.

#6 Pabangue

Pabangue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:40 PM

Bailifei I downloaded Easeus but in order to use it I must first root my phone. I have been advised at a computer repair store that this is not worth it considering the damage it might render to my phone. Do you have an opinion on this?

britechguy  thank you for the second answer but I believe the Photo recovery apps you sent me to are to be downloaded on the phone and I'd prefer not to do this to avoid messing with its internal memory (hence maybe overwriting the data I am trying to recover).

Edited by Pabangue, 12 January 2016 - 01:42 PM.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,007 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 11:41 AM

Pabangue,

I've been away for a while and will probably only be around for a day or two.  In order to do what you intend to do you will need to use some file recovery program or app, there is no way around this.  If you are not willing to root your phone, and I can understand why you might not, you are either going to have to download a file recovery program on to your computer and then have the computer treat the phone's internal memory as though it were a disc drive for it to scan or download an app onto the phone to do the same.

Unless you've had the phone turned off, entirely, since this saga began there are all sorts of system processes running when the phone is on, but sleeping, that can and will overwrite internal storage as it's needed by those processes.  The longer you wait the more fragmentary whatever's left to recover from is going  to get.  Make a choice and accept that you are not likely to recover all of these photos, particularly at this late date.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users