Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Key

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 durkinjt

durkinjt

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:31 PM

I just installed a 250G SSD in my Lenovo k450 1THDD, 12 Ram, i7. I restored it to factory which was Win 8 and installed Win 8.1 with a disk I 

purchased online. To make a long story short, I just noticed my computer is not activated and does not recognize the Win 8.1 key, I was never 

given  a key with this computer and it is not located anywhere on the computer. Also tried to reset to factory again and it will not work, give 

a message files are missing and to use the recovery disk to fix errors, when I use the Win 8.1 Recovery disk it gets to the installation and 

when choosing what HDD drive to use , will not accept any.Can I somehow retrieve an original key?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 01:07 PM

Magic Jelly Been should do the trick, though I am surprised there is no sticker on the bottom!

https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 TrafalgarLaw

TrafalgarLaw

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2015 - 12:39 PM

When you (or your PC manufacturer) installs Windows, Windows stores its product key in the registry. You can extract this product key, and — often — enter it when reinstalling Windows on your PC.

#4 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2015 - 01:16 PM

Thanks for the help, Magic Jelly Bean worked. Merry Xmas.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:13 AM

Just curious here.  The installation disc you purchase for Windows 8.1 the same version of your Windows 8?  Ex: Windows 8 64-bit.

You had installed Windows 8 from the recovery partition, all you needed to do was use the Microsoft Store to upgrade to Windows 8.1.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 mainer21

mainer21

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:06 AM

Windows 8- 8.1-10 computers product key is Embedded in your PC’s UEFI firmware. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/206329/how-to-find-your-lost-windows-or-office-product-keys/

Edited by mainer21, 26 December 2015 - 11:07 AM.

#7 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:41 AM

Just curious here.  The installation disc you purchase for Windows 8.1 the same version of your Windows 8?  Ex: Windows 8 64-bit.

You had installed Windows 8 from the recovery partition, all you needed to do was use the Microsoft Store to upgrade to Windows 8.1.

The disk I bought was Win. 8 Pro, installation was Win.8.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users