Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

msi.exec using up all memory

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DDgun99

DDgun99

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:21 PM

Since recently whenever I start up my laptop it freezes up after a few minutes. If I open the task manager as soon as windows boots I see Windows Installer (msi.exec) is using up to 99% of system memory. I've tried every suggestions online, including scans with AVG, Malwarebytes and CCleaner but nothing is working. When I boot in safe mode It doesn't happen, but I also can't find a solution.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 03:39 PM

See if this helps.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.php?threads/major-problems-with-msiexec-exe.162103/

(Basically your opening services and making sure the Windows installer is set to manual).

#3 DDgun99

DDgun99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 02:41 PM

See if this helps.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.php?threads/major-problems-with-msiexec-exe.162103/

(Basically your opening services and making sure the Windows installer is set to manual).

When I go to Windows Installer properties in services.msc, it's already set to manual, but the menu is greyed out, meaning I can't change it which leaves me to believe it's either stuck on automatic or it's a different problem. I've tried both in safe mode and in normal mode (which took like half an hour to load)

#4 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 03:36 PM

When I go to Windows Installer properties in services.msc, it's already set to manual, but the menu is greyed out, meaning I can't change it which leaves me to believe it's either stuck on automatic or it's a different problem. I've tried both in safe mode and in normal mode (which took like half an hour to load)

I love it when  a plan comes together :)

Ok,lets re register the service.,

Open an elevated command prompt:(Go to Start Menu,right click and choose"Run as Administrater")

In the Command Prompt window, type the following ,one by one and then press “Enter” after each command.

msiexec.exe /unregister

msiexec.exe /regserver

Once you,ve done that,check if the command were processed successfully.

If it was successfully processed, then type “Exit” and press “Enter”.

Now, check the status of the “Windows Installer” service from “Services.msc”.

If that works,great,if not we should run the system file checker.

Instructions here.Best bet is use  Option 3,To Run SFC /SCANNOW Command in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2895-sfc-command-run-windows-10-a.html

If the file checker finds problems it cant fix we need to run the DISM Repair Tool.

Instructions here:(Use option 1,To Run "DISM /Cleanup-Image" Tool in Command Prompt)

Let us know how it goes,or if you need any further assistance.

Edited by Wolverine 7, 21 December 2015 - 03:37 PM.

#5 DDgun99

DDgun99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 05:24 PM

I love it when  a plan comes together :)

Ok,lets re register the service.,

Open an elevated command prompt:(Go to Start Menu,right click and choose"Run as Administrater")

In the Command Prompt window, type the following ,one by one and then press “Enter” after each command.

msiexec.exe /unregister

msiexec.exe /regserver

Once you,ve done that,check if the command were processed successfully.

If it was successfully processed, then type “Exit” and press “Enter”.

Now, check the status of the “Windows Installer” service from “Services.msc”.

If that works,great,if not we should run the system file checker.

Instructions here.Best bet is use  Option 3,To Run SFC /SCANNOW Command in Windows 10

If the file checker finds problems it cant fix we need to run the DISM Repair Tool.

Instructions here:(Use option 1,To Run "DISM /Cleanup-Image" Tool in Command Prompt)

Let us know how it goes,or if you need any further assistance.

Re registering the service doesn't change my ability to change it's properties, and when I run SFC it doesn't find any errors. I'm losing my mind here because this time when I booted Windows Installer didn't start, even though I haven't changed anything.

#6 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:50 PM

Ok,ive seen a few of these,"ive just fixed myself tee hee"issues on win ten recently.

Not sure were to go next,cos theirs so many variables with what the issue could be.Windows has always fixed some things with reboots.You could check through the Event viewer,see if it gives you any further clue to what happened.

If you dont have the issue now and SFC doesnt find any corruption i wouldnt worry too much for now.

I like to kind of get to the bottom of things if theres an issue in case it crops up again or has a nock on effect,you can change services parameters in the registry or use more elevated commands to enable or disable them,but as the problems resolved itself im not keen to tinker further.

If the issue does crop up again you could run Tweaking.coms Windows All in One Repair program.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/

Make a registry backup and restore point (the program will do that for you),tick it to fix everything and see what it does.

If that doesnt change anything you could do a system reset.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4130-reset-windows-10-a.html

(Backup your files if you choose to do this)

Ok hope it stays fixed,let us know if the issue starts again.

Edited by Wolverine 7, 21 December 2015 - 08:51 PM.

#7 DDgun99

DDgun99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 12:55 PM

Ok,ive seen a few of these,"ive just fixed myself tee hee"issues on win ten recently.

Not sure were to go next,cos theirs so many variables with what the issue could be.Windows has always fixed some things with reboots.You could check through the Event viewer,see if it gives you any further clue to what happened.

If you dont have the issue now and SFC doesnt find any corruption i wouldnt worry too much for now.

I like to kind of get to the bottom of things if theres an issue in case it crops up again or has a nock on effect,you can change services parameters in the registry or use more elevated commands to enable or disable them,but as the problems resolved itself im not keen to tinker further.

If the issue does crop up again you could run Tweaking.coms Windows All in One Repair program.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/

Make a registry backup and restore point (the program will do that for you),tick it to fix everything and see what it does.

If that doesnt change anything you could do a system reset.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4130-reset-windows-10-a.html

(Backup your files if you choose to do this)

Ok hope it stays fixed,let us know if the issue starts again.

Turns out it wasn't fixed yet, I ran Windows All in One Repair but the problem still persists, however I believe to have found a solution: changing the service properties in the registry. Right now I have disabled the service to be able to work normally without having to boot into safe mode. The only thing left to do would be to change the FailureActions entry but I can't find the correct binary values online. If you could tell me the registry values I need to input that would be great.

#8 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:17 PM

Turns out it wasn't fixed yet, I ran Windows All in One Repair but the problem still persists, however I believe to have found a solution: changing the service properties in the registry. Right now I have disabled the service to be able to work normally without having to boot into safe mode. The only thing left to do would be to change the FailureActions entry but I can't find the correct binary values online. If you could tell me the registry values I need to input that would be great.

Yeah,i new you could set services in the registry,but the binary data for failure actions for the settings is beyond my knowledge...ive never had to set a service that way and a brief look through the net brings up  zero,as you say.

We / I could pm one of the more advanced techs on the site or you could re post indicating the spesifiic issue and we hopefully get

a responce from someone who knows the registry  well?

#9 wfallon

wfallon

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 24 December 2015 - 10:04 AM

Unlike most Services, there are no settings for windows modules installer in the registry. I suspect that is because it is independent, doesn't depend or rely on anything else.

Bill

#10 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 04:44 PM

Unlike most Services, there are no settings for windows modules installer in the registry. I suspect that is because it is independent, doesn't depend or rely on anything else.

Ok im not too focused at the moment what with work and general business,but i have HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msiserver

See link below

Note the:"This method shows you how to change Startup type of Windows Modules Installer from Registry Editor.

Please perform the following steps:"..section.

http://computerstepbystep.com/windows_modules_installer_service.html

Come across a couple posts recently were this service seems to be  putting cpu through the roof,mostly unresolved...Just make reg backup before you do anythibg:-)

#11 wfallon

wfallon

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:28 AM

I was in error earlier when I said there were no registry entries for msi.exec, I made a typo.

In the data section: Start DWORD VALUE can be set to:

1.  Automatic (Delayed Start)

2.  Automatic

3.  Manual

4. Disabled

Sorry for the error.

Bill

#12 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 06:43 PM

Ok,so if you set it to manual does that work?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users