Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The System Cannot Find the File Specified

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 larsensx2

larsensx2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 10:32 AM

Hi,

As the title suggests, this is what my computer displays as it attempts to start up. It has Windows 8 installed, and what happens is it will try to load up, get to the Windows screen, which then will take a long time, for it to change to a blue screen displaying 'The system cannot find the file specified'.  I click it, and the screen goes black and comes back in a more purplish blue than before.  If that gets clicked, the procedure starts over with black screen and then back to the message and purplish screen.

How it came about is, I came home, started up the computer, went to the web for looking at the news.  It blue-screened and restarted, and began the above.  It has always been iffy, though, and would blue-screen fairly often (several times a week), but would always come back, though.  I haven't been able to do major surgery on it, since my work is on it, and the thought of losing the work accidentally, was not palatable.

This has (needless to say) been a huge issue since all my work is on it.  What I did was race out and buy a new hard drive, Windows 10 and a BlacX hard drive reader, which I since have tried to get going as a new install.  So far so good, but with mixed results.

Anyway, is there anything I can do to get the old hard drive going again, without losing files from it?  I tried the Automatic Repair, but that did nothing.  Then I tried replacing the boot files, and that didn't change the error either.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jinxiang

jinxiang

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 22 December 2015 - 11:42 AM

Do you have the windows installation disc with you? 

#3 larsensx2

larsensx2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 01:26 PM

Yes I do

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 22 December 2015 - 02:09 PM

Did it give the name of the missing file when it Blue Screened?

#5 larsensx2

larsensx2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 02:59 PM

No - at least not what I noticed. It went pretty quickly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users