Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cisco router not recognizing devices

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Striper

Striper

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 10:15 AM

Firstly, I'll apologize in advance if this has already been addressed elsewhere.  I'm fairly good at searching first, asking second - and GIYF is one of my favorite acronyms.  Nonetheless, I really couldn't find this specific problem...

Secondly, I have a feeling this is a fairly simple issue, and I suspect a router setting - but I'll admit up front, I'm not very familiar with networking.  Since I've found you folks to be extremely helpful in the past, here goes:

For some reason, my home router (CISCO valet-plus) keeps 'forgetting' (for lack of a better term) the usual devices around my house.  2 examples:

- Some evenings when I come from work, my iPhone 6s won't connect until I unplug, then plug back in my router.  Then it connects.

- Our daughter comes home every few weeks from college, and I often have to cycle the power on the router to get it to connect.

I have approx 5 or 6 smart phones, and 4 to 5 laptops in the house (coming and going), and this happens randomly from device to device - so I don't think it's a problem with any particular device - but more likely a router issue.

Shouldn't the router recognize all 'friendly' devices automatically?  Could it be an device IP address problem? (again, I'm a Joe Homeowner - so I only have a passing understanding of home-networking).  I've only done it a few times, but I could probably figure out how to log into the router to check some settings.

Thoughts?

Thanx in advance!  Striper

Edited by Striper, 20 December 2015 - 10:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 logan55

logan55

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 01:14 PM

Hello Striper,

what is the router model ?

Best regards,

logan

#3 Striper

Striper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 01:22 PM

Yeah...I meant to (also) apologize for not having the specific model # - forgot to check it when I ran out this morning...my bad.  I can tell you it's the CISCO valet-plus that was pretty popular several years ago (when I purchased it)...like this:  http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-M20-Cisco-Valet-Wireless-Router/dp/B003B4AVSS

I know it's important to have the model # when trying to investigate ANY type of issue...and I'll try to add it to this post tonite / tomorrow when I get home.  But to be honest, I'm thinking this is gonna be a settings issue - prob not specific to a particular model.

But who knows???

Thanx!  Striper

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 03:03 PM

Striper,

If you've done nothing more than setting up a network name of your liking and a password to go with it, I'd consider doing a factory reset on your router and just setting up your network again.  On virtually every router I've ever touched there is a small, recessed button on the back or bottom marked "Reset" that you need to push with an unfolded paper clip or similar.

You should be able to download the entire user manual and quick setup guide for your router from the Cisco site and I would do this before you do the reset.  The quick setup guide will show you what the router is going to expect you to do after it's been reset.

I've done this on various routers, and reconfigured the network with the same name (SSID) and security type & password, and had the sort of problems you describe "magically disappear"  (but sometimes not).  It's not much effort at all to try it, though.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 Striper

Striper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:35 AM

Thanx Brian!  Was trying to avoid a reset, but I guess it's no big deal (and I believe I still have the thumb drive they supplied with it).

For what it's worth - my iPhone connected automatically when I walked in the door last night.  Buuuuuut, my Nook wouldn't connect until I cycled the router's power.  Frustrating.  Seems like it's random - one device will connect, then another won't.

And of course, I forgot to get the model # this morning.  Kinda crazy around the house lately.  Ho Ho Ho.

Striper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users