Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seek a modern GUI 'Copy' cmd that uses Verify to confirm 100% accurate copy ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 paul456

paul456

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 05:53 AM

I found that the Windows 'Copy' cmd was unreliable when copying bulk data of mostly folders of multimedia files between external USB HDDs, and from internal HDD to external HDDs.
As the data was massive, it is impractical to manually check that each of thousands of files is copied without error.  I since found a number of posts confirming Windows 'Copy' is quite primitive and obviously does not use any kind of verification that the copied files are an exact copy of the original.

I seek a modern easy to use GUI equivalent of the old DOS 'xcopy' cmd line copy-with-verification utility that Microsoft included to rectify the deficiencies of 'Copy' in the era before Windows, but has since chosen to ignore.   100% bit-for-bit Verification should be the most important feature, not speed.  As they say, more haste, less speed.  It needs to have at least some form of basic logging of result, preferably with choice of summary or verbose logging. Although the prime use is for when one does the original copy (files, folders, drives), for filesets already copied, it would be helpful if it could also do a Verification only pass comparing 2 filesets.    If poss, pls recommend a few, in preference order so I have a choice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 07:00 AM

Hi paul456,

Not sure if this is quite what you want but,

http://superuser.com/questions/773090/is-there-a-way-to-copy-with-verification-or-just-verify-copied-data

Only 2 answers, top one

Good luck 

Hedge

#3 paul456

paul456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 03:43 PM

Hi paul456,

Not sure if this is quite what you want but,

http://superuser.com/questions/773090/is-there-a-way-to-copy-with-verification-or-just-verify-copied-data

Only 2 answers, top one

Good luck 

Hedge

Many thanks for the link which led onto other useful links with older background to the reliability problems of the Windows 'Copy' cmd.

I am thinking to try the 'FastCopy' utility, but bit put off after reading the UI is not that easy to use, and that although somewhere it does have a Verify option, it is focused on speed, not reliability.  Have you any experience of FastCopy ?  

I thought the post by the GIS person very informative on deficiencies of Windows 'Copy, had used 'RoboCopy' (which I read on a further link is depreciated on Win 7) but he did not find an ideal solution over period of 15 years !   TerraCopy is often mentions for Verification, but I also hear many posts stating it is buggy, which I find offputting to use when 100% copy reliability is required.

Edited by paul456, 22 December 2015 - 03:57 PM.

#4 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:21 AM

Hi paul456,

Sorry no, never used it. FWIW

I've always used a linux live cd  for cloning and the like, but don't know about verification or integrity stats with linux.

Might be worth a post in the linux forum to see if they con shed some light on the details

If you do post in linux can post a link to it here so I and others can follow your progress.

Thanks

Hedge 

#5 paul456

paul456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:01 PM

I found that the Windows 'Copy' cmd was unreliable when copying bulk data of mostly folders of multimedia files between external USB HDDs, and from internal HDD to external HDDs.
As the data was massive, it is impractical to manually check that each of thousands of files is copied without error.  I since found a number of posts confirming Windows 'Copy' is quite primitive and obviously does not use any kind of verification that the copied files are an exact copy of the original.

I seek a modern easy to use GUI equivalent of the old DOS 'xcopy' cmd line copy-with-verification utility that Microsoft included to rectify the deficiencies of 'Copy' in the era before Windows, but has since chosen to ignore.   100% bit-for-bit Verification should be the most important feature, not speed.  As they say, more haste, less speed.  It needs to have at least some form of basic logging of result, preferably with choice of summary or verbose logging. Although the prime use is for when one does the original copy (files, folders, drives), for filesets already copied, it would be helpful if it could also do a Verification only pass comparing 2 filesets.    If poss, pls recommend a few, in preference order so I have a choice.

Although I could find no support Forum or working contact for FastCopy, having read the long online helpfile and not found the info I wanted, I ended up trying it in 'portable' mode in case it wasn't suitable, on a small fileset.

The simple UI of the main program answered at least my Verify question.  I was easily able to make Verify a default setting.   Still no confirmation if copied files/folders retained, but that was confirmed after by inspection.   I was pleased by the automatic saving of CopyLogs in its own LOGS folder.  Pleased the Verify uses MD5, not the ancient CRC that some reviewers refer to.  Main screen if informative about current Copy operation, and confirms 'no errors' after each file copy has 'finished'.

I then copied 2 huge multimedia trees from 1 to another USB drive, the 2nd tree, being copied on a 1 copy operation per folder basis to correctly merge into the combined destination tree without risk of overwriting common subfolders with differing contents.  The 1st tree copy of about 37k files / 750MB took overnight.  In the morning the Log file reported 24 error files - all errors were in html files, not film or audio.  The destination filecount was 33 less than the source.  Despite copying the 2nd tree taking a long time on a file-by-file basis, I carefully watched the screen for each copy operation and there were no errors reported.

What I miss, that was available in the old tape backup programs Sytos and Colorado, was a GUI screen, where it shows you all selected files/folders, and allows you to 'untick' any in the list you want to exclude from the Copy operation.

The online helpfile said you can specify a filelist of copying, and also an exclusion list, but that may be only available in cmdline mode, as I could not see how to easily do it in the GUI.

But overall, I felt a good degree of confidence that FastCopy copied all the files/folders I wanted, and with a good record of the few errors that occurred;  something that I would not have gained using Windows Copy.

So unless something that sounds better comes along, I will stay with FastCopy, perhaps still in its portable mode, as it does what I want.

Thank you all for your helpful input.

Edited by paul456, 04 January 2016 - 01:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users