Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 keeps installing standard VGA adapter drivers for 970

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bcordone

bcordone

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 01:48 AM

I have a 970. It keeps showing up as standard VGA adapter with drivers from 2006. Installing new ones from Nvidia's website keeps failing, and if I install them via windows (I use the browse for driver software function) it goes through but on reboot it keeps installing that crappy standard VGA adapter driver over it.

Any help? I've turned all this auto-installation stuff off in windows update but it keeps doing it anyways. Windows 7 is acting like a rear-kisser and trying to be all helpful when I don't want or need it's help, especially when it comes to installing ancient drivers over my real ones.

Can someone help? Thanks. Again it goes through fine if I use the browse for driver function, but as soon as I reboot it reboots, then I suddenly get a black screen for a moment, and it says "WINDOWS HAS INSTALLED DRIVERS SUCCUESFULLY" and it shows up as a standard VGA adapter.

I've tried almost everything. Again if I use the windows thing the update goes through fine, it's just on reboot windows decides it'll be funny to overwrite my hard earned work with these crappy 2006 drivers.

Edited by bcordone, 20 December 2015 - 01:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 02:25 AM

Assuming you have set your WU to notify you of possible updates, let you decide what to download and what to install;

-- something, other than you, is replacing a checkmark in the box for the vga adapter update

-- even after you made sure that particular box is unchecked before you click the bottom OK button

do I have that correct?

Edited by RolandJS, 20 December 2015 - 02:26 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 bcordone

bcordone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:13 AM

Assuming you have set your WU to notify you of possible updates, let you decide what to download and what to install;

-- something, other than you, is replacing a checkmark in the box for the vga adapter update

-- even after you made sure that particular box is unchecked before you click the bottom OK button

do I have that correct?

Both were off. I found why this was happening, too and how I fixed it.

I'm using Commodo Internet Security. It looks like it was somehow preventing the drivers from updating even though they supposedly were going through. Disabling it let me use geforce experience to update correctly. Just disable everything (firewall, hips, etc.) and then close it via the task bar, and the update will go through ok.

It's actually a common problem with Comodo. I'm just suprised it didn't pop up a notice like "Geforce Experience wants to install drivers. Do you accept this change?" or something. It was just silently blocking the driver installation.

Discovered my solution by the comments section on this page.

http://www.custompcguide.net/2-methods-to-fix-nvidia-installer-failed-issue-for-geforce-video-cards/

Either way this problem is fixed and the topic can be closed. Thanks for the help though. If anyone else is reading this and has a similar problem, check your anti virus. As I said in my case Comodo was silently blocking installation and causing my problem. 

Edited by bcordone, 20 December 2015 - 08:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users