Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Newfolder.exe virus?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 collecemall

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:45 AM

Running windows 7 64. Trying to fix a PC for my father. He had this virus a couple years ago and apparently it was on a thumbdrive which he used for the first time in ages. There are folders inside every folder with the same name as the parent folder. I don't know if it is related but his network connection will no longer connect to the internet. Tried running Malwarebytes and Superantispyware. Both find the folders and delete but they all come back. Appreciate any help that can be offered.

EDIT: In addition to cleaning the PC are there steps that need to be taken or can be taken to clean the flash drives?

Edited by collecemall, 20 December 2015 - 12:45 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 severac

• Members
  • 872 posts
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 09:07 AM

Hello and welcome to BC,

Please download MCShield from the following link:

MCShield -Official download link 

• Double click on MCShield-Setup to install the application.
    Next => I Agree => Next => Install ... per installation click on Run! button.
  • Wait a few seconds to MCShield finish initial HDD scan...
  • Connect all your USB storage devices to the computer one at a time. Scanning will be done automatically.
  • When all scanning is done, you need to post a logreport that MCShield has created.

Under Logs tab (in Control Center) for AllScans.txt log section click on Save button. AllScanst.txt report shall be located on your Desktop.

=> Post here AllScanst.txt

Explanation: USB storage devices are all the USB devices that get their own partition letter at connecting to the PC,
e.g. flash drives (thumb/pen drives, USB sticks), external HDDs, MP3/MP4 players, digital cameras,
memory cards (SD cards, Sony Memory Stick, MultiMedia Cards etc.), some mobile phones, some GPS navigation devices etc.

MCShield Anti-Malware USB Tool is a lightweight scanner designed to prevent infections transmitted via removable drives (usb, external, camera cards). It's real-time protection is only real-time when you plug-in an external.

MSChield Documentation & Program Features

Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool

Please download Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool from here.

§  Right click on KVRT.exe and select Run as Administrator.

§  Read the EULA, then select Accept.

§  Wait for Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool to initialize.

§  In the main screen, select Change parameters, place a checkmark in System drive, then click OK.

§  Click Start scan.

§  Wait for Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool to complete scanning.

§  When the scan is finished, select Neutralize all for all detected objects.

§  Close Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool when done.

Informe me if something is detected.

I would like to help you to remove malware. Let's look inside.   :busy:

But I don't know to solve all PC problems.  :smash: 

#3 collecemall

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 22 December 2015 - 02:05 PM

Thanks for replying,

I'm fairly sure I got it off the computer using a combination of malware removers. I'll try the instructions above to make sure the usb drives are clean when I get a chance. They are old and low volume so I may just throw them away and replace them to be 100% sure.

Thanks again,

collecemall :tophat:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users