Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I am very convinced my neighbors are stealing my internet.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 insideMatrix

insideMatrix

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 11:53 PM

I am using wireless network watcher (program) to detect all the connections on my network. All of the connections are from my house, is it possible they could avoid detection from this software somehow?

another question, could they watch my internet traffic or my computer without stealing my internet or being detected on this software also? 

Edited by insideMatrix, 19 December 2015 - 11:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,830 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:47 AM

If you're using wireless with any of the conventional security methods, particularly if it's WPA with a password that no one could reasonably guess, it's not at all likely that anyone is "stealing your internet."

You should be able to log in to your router and see precisely what devices are (or were) connected to your router in the recent past.

Nothing is impossible if someone is determined enough and technically talented enough, but that's not your average, or even above average, next door neighbor when it comes to hacking a wireless router.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 insideMatrix

insideMatrix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 01:06 AM

Thanks for not answering any of my questions.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 01:07 AM

"...You should be able to log in to your router and see precisely what devices are (or were) connected to your router in the recent past..."  That was his answer, in the middle of his post.

To reduce the stealing of bandwidth:

One could go to using MAC addresses, however, this process also can be overrun by a way-above-average hacker.  But, here too, the average person will not take the time and energy to shift through and try the many many combinations of possible MAC addresses to hack through any particular wireless.  Once MAC addresses are written in stone, there are a few free utilities that can monitor for and alert for unauthorized attempts of usage within the wireless - I think.

Edited by RolandJS, 20 December 2015 - 01:11 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,830 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 01:12 AM

Thanks for not answering any of my questions.

Sorry if answers that require you to think a bit are causing your head to burst.  I did answer the basic question you had.  I have no idea what network watcher you're running and it's not relevant to the unbelievably small likelihood that your average neighbor could hack your router, when security is enabled, and escape detection by a network watcher or the router itself.

Get a freakin' grip.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 02:19 AM

"...Get a freakin' grip..."

I think too many believe in instant, EZ, permanent, one-time answers; when the truth is:  security is an ongoing process, requiring end-users to tweak what needs tweaking on a some regular basis, be it bi-monthly or monthly or whatever; it's never a one-time set it/forget it thing.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#7 insideMatrix

insideMatrix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 04:58 PM

Yeah, man I didn't need you to input your bleep that I already knew, and last I knew WPA hasn't been very secure for awhile, that's why there is newer versions of it anyone with a brain and a how to guide could crack WPA passwords... Kinda looking for actually professional help that can go above and beyond common knowledge here.

Edited by insideMatrix, 20 December 2015 - 04:58 PM.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,830 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 05:05 PM

Yeah, man I didn't need you to input your bleep that I already knew, and last I knew WPA hasn't been very secure for awhile, that's why there is newer versions of it anyone with a brain and a how to guide could crack WPA passwords... Kinda looking for actually professional help that can go above and beyond common knowledge here.

You need to explain how, "I am very convinced my neighbors are stealing my internet," when there is not a scintilla of supporting evidence.  People pointing out the obvious, when you fail to see it yourself, should be considered helpful.

You do not appear to know much of anything, least of which is gratitude or recognition that you're out of your depth, which is about puddle deep.

Edited by britechguy, 20 December 2015 - 05:06 PM.

~ Lauren Bacall

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,373 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:33 PM

Hi insideMatrix

Nothing is impossible if someone is determined enough and technically talented enough, but that's not your average, or even above average, next door neighbor when it comes to hacking a wireless router.

I would have to agree with this it depends on their PC skills.

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:48 PM

I think it is time to close this discussion since everything useful has been said, and it is going downhill from there.

Locked.

Chris Cosgrove

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:55 PM

Let me take this opportunity to remind everyone of this from the forum rules:

There will be no posts meant to offend or hurt any other member, in a manner which is offensive or inflammatory. This includes flaming or instigating arguments.

If you cannot be civil do not bother posting.

We will NOT tolerate such rude behavior towards members.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users