Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound Devices Disappeared When Malware Removed

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 thesentmans

thesentmans

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:33 PM

It turns out we had a fastclick malware program adding urls to the history.
So, I installed Spyware Blaster, Spybot SD, X-Cleaner, and Microsoft's ASW program on top of the CCleaner and AdAware, AVG, and ZoneAlarm Pro.

First off, ZoneAlarm makes me re-enter the license key each time I open Windows.
Second, after deleting the Fastclick malware today I noticed that WMP would not play any mp3s.
I searched for more info with the error code on Google but found nothing of use.

"C00D11BA: Cannot play the file
Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device, such as a sound card or sound controller. You might encounter this error message for one of the following reasons:

Your sound device is in use by another program. Quit other programs that might be using your sound device, and then try to play the file again.
Your sound device requires an updated driver. To determine if an updated driver is available, see the Windows Update Web page at the Microsoft Web site, or see the sound device manufacturer's Web site.
The selected sound device does not support Secure Audio Path (SAP). If you have multiple sound devices installed on your computer, try using a different one.
Your sound device is not functioning properly. To troubleshoot the problem, see the Sound Troubleshooter in Windows Help or refer to your sound device's documentation.
You do not have a sound device installed on your computer. Install a sound device, and then try to play the file again.
To use a different sound device
On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Devices tab.
Double-click Speakers, and in Audio device to use, click a different device.
Error ID = 0xC00D11BA, Condition ID = 0x00000000"

That is the complete error code that I got. It's XP home SP2, and I have tried going to windowsUpdate to resolve the problem. It did not work. No sound devices were recognized by Reason, so it's not just WMP, and it's not just mp3s. I tried downloading the audio drivers from the C-Media website but that did not fix the problem, it still looks as though there are no audio devices when I go in to look through the Control Panel. How can I fix this? I had also noticed that my volume control was sporadically disappearing from the task bar, and even after several attempts to fix this, I couldn't, so i ended up putting a shortcut on the desktop.

Can anyone help me? I am pretty comfortable using the computer (and an IT student) but I am at my wit's end.

Chris Sentman

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xtatik222k

xtatik222k

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:15 AM

This sounds like an annoying problem. The only thing I can think of (seeing as you have reinstalled your audio drivers) is that the sound volume program inherent in windows might be deleted or damaged. Unfortuneately if this is the case, you will need to get yourself a copy of an XP cd. It doesn't matter what version, any will do.
You need to expand the sound volume file from the cd to your system32 directory on your drive:

Do not type the quotation marks in any of the following:
1) Put the CD in.
2) Run a command prompt by clicking start > run > type "cmd" and press enter
3) Navigate to your cd contents by entering the letter of youyr drive. For instance, if mine cd-drive is E, I would type "E:\"
4) type "cd i386"
5) type "expand sndvol32.ex_ system_root\system32\sndvol32.exe "

This should place a fresh version of the sound volume control in your directory. After installing it, remove the cd and restart. Not sure this will do much, as it sounds as though the actual sound drivers are corrupted or missing. It seems odd that you would reinstall drivers and still no sound card would be present. If that didn't help, try:

Uninstalling ALL audio drivers and components and reinstalling new drivers.
System Restoring, if possible.
If the program you used to remove a certain program edited the registry beyond repair, you may have to follow another path, as I don't know too much about the registry and I don't want to send someone off to mess around with it.

Edited by xtatik222k, 27 July 2006 - 12:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users