Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help me access my FAT formatted hard drive in Win7

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 1010220

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:01 PM

Thanks for reading this!

I need to access data from a FAT formatted G-Tech drive on my Windows 7 machine.  Is there anyway I can somehow mount this drive and get the data without having to reformat and erase everything?

Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:09 PM

Fat what?  FAT16, FAT32, ExtFAT?  I ask because my Windows 7 will automatically pick up, read and write FAT32 material.  FAT16 & ExtFAT will probably take 3rd-party software; or, Puppy Linux booting and copying the wanted folders and files onto external media [hopefully formatted either FAT32 or NTFS], a boot back into Windows, copying said rescued material onto your normal internal HD's data partition.

Then, after that, consider reformatting that usb stick FAT32 [default].  And backing up your rescued material onto it.

Edited by RolandJS, 19 December 2015 - 09:10 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 1010220

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:16 PM

I went into Disk Management and checked out the drive properties.  It just says, "File system:  FAT"

Am I missing something?

#4 passacaglia

passacaglia

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:17 PM

Windows shouldn't have problems reading fat32 files. It does that every time it reads a USB stick.

I am not an expert but maybe you should check your BIOS and see if the port the HDD is connected to the machine is enabled.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:20 PM

I thought I mentioned that if the device in question is either FAT16 or ExtFAT, Windows 7 will not automatically read from/write to it.  If the device is FAT32, Windows 7 would have already acknowledged the device in explorer.exe.

Edited by RolandJS, 19 December 2015 - 09:21 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#6 1010220

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:23 PM

I'm connecting the drive via eSATA.  It successfully installed the Hitachi Driver, and I am seeing the drive in Disk Management.  So it is definitely connected.

#7 1010220

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:25 PM

How do I know if it's FAT32, or FAT16?  It just says "File system:  FAT"  There's no further indication of a specific file-system that I'm aware of.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:33 PM

Then, you'll have to make a Puppy Linux boot as I mentioned earlier.  Because I will be only online sporadically, trying to get music and words together for a presentation [to be given by another person] tomorrow -- I won't be able to walk you through Puppy Linux operations.

#9 1010220

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:35 PM

Okay, thanks for your help.  Can you at least give me a basic idea of what that is, and where I can find more info on that?  How hard will it be to do this?

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:42 PM

BC guys/gals, could some of you guide this nice person to existent tutorials and/or quick-instructions for making and using a Puppy Linux?  I must get back to the music/words presentation, or, I will be figuratively burned in oil...

#11 passacaglia

passacaglia

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 10:49 PM

You can also boot from a Hirens disk. It's free and maybe a friend could use his (her) laptop to download the program and burn it in a CD you give her (him). It has a vast array of tools. The DOS tools are quite good.

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 10:52 PM

Please note the OP has an open thread regarding using puppy linux to recover files.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/599941/please-help-me-understand-how-to-use-puppy-linux/

Edited by NickAu, 19 December 2015 - 10:56 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#13 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,302 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 11:24 PM

Lets continue this in the linked topic above, to avoid confusion for everyone. I will close this one at least for now. If the need arises for it to be reopened. The OP can PM any moderator and ask for it to be reopened.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users