Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HOW CAN I INSTALL A WINDOWS OS ON A GPT PARTITION

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 passacaglia

passacaglia

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:03 PM

My internal HDD is 3 TB. Since MBR allows a maximum of 4 partitions I only made 3 partitions. But there is another restriction. Total disk size cannot exceed 2 TB. Using GPT gives boot problems and also said it is not a genuine windows copy. So I tried to reinstall the OS with my installation disk but windows said it cannot install itself on a GPT partition. That is why, I believe, the moment I switched from MBR to GPT, windows decided it was not a genuine version.

Fact is I have about 800 MB, unallocated in MBR, which physically exist but I can't use. How can I fix that?

Would Win10 have the same problem?

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/MndXGywXOYDeLclatNdEf1U 

Thank you very much for any help I might receive as well as for all the other useful suggestions received in the past for other issues.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 07:43 AM

From the forum rules...

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

#3 KingDavidlll

KingDavidlll

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:15 AM

Is the copy of Windows geniuine?  Installing Windows 7 on a GPT partition can be done however not recommended/worth the hassle in my opinion.  A legal version of Windows 10 will be able to install on a GPT partition. 

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:44 AM

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/how-to-clean-install-windows-7-professional-64-bit/c052117c-8faa-4b5b-bd31-30bb9b21a0eb?auth=1

Other Google Links On Same

Louis

#5 passacaglia

passacaglia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 10:06 PM

The Windows copy is genuine. I partitioned the disk in GPT. When I got to the part on which partition I would install the OS I got a message saying OS could not be installed on a GPT partition.

Thank you for the links hamluis.

KingDavidIII

I can download and install Win10 anytime. I have the Win10 icon on the taskbar. After installing Win10, can I change from MBR to GPT and recover the lost space?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 22 December 2015 - 10:26 AM

Your Speccy link does not work.

What is the make and model of this computer.

Did you partition the for the UEFI GPT?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 passacaglia

passacaglia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 02:53 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/62Dfd0GZpj16rh3JxhGVbFo

The computer is home made. No make or model.

This is the M/B  http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4492#ov

I bought a 3 TB internal HDD because the old one was full of unrepairable bad sectors (used HDD Regenerator)

I was not aware that it could not be partitioned fully as MBR, so about 800 MB of space became unusable. With Aomei Partition Assistant I changed the MBR system to GPT.

But when loading the OS again for a clean install, a message said I could not install the OS in any partition since they were GPT.

No wonder the HDD was so cheap.

#8 passacaglia

passacaglia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 03:09 PM

From  https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn640535(v=vs.85).aspx#gpt_faq_win7_boot

Can Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 read, write, and boot from GPT disks?

Yes, all versions can use GPT partitioned disks for data. Booting is only supported for 64-bit editions on UEFI-based systems.

What am I doing wrong? Is my system not UEFI-based? Should I tweak the BIOS somewhere?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 03:10 PM

Does the computer have UEFI. Windows 7 will not boot a GPT disk using a Legacy BIOS. You need a UEFI computer in order for Windows 7 to boot from GPT.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dual_boot_with_Windows

•  

Windows Vista (SP1 and above, not RTM) and Windows 7 x86_64 versions support booting in x86_64 UEFI mode from GPT disk only, OR in BIOS mode from MBR/msdos disk only. They do not support IA32 (x86 32-bit) UEFI boot from GPT/MBR disk, x86_64 UEFI boot from MBR/msdos disk, or BIOS boot from GPT disk.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 22 December 2015 - 03:19 PM

Your motherboard has UEFI firmware.  Follow John_21's advice and do a fresh install.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 03:29 PM

Make sure your MB has UEFI enabled and not Legacy Boot. Boot the install disk and when you get to the first install Screen press Shift + F10 which will bring up a command prompt window. Type the following but first detach any of your USB hard drives.

diskpart           Will open the diskpart command window

list disk

select disk X    where X is the number associated with your install disk. If you have only one internal drive it will be disk 0

clean               This will delete any partitions on the drive

convert gpt

exit

Exit out of the command prompt window and continue the install.

#12 passacaglia

passacaglia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:53 PM

Thank you very much.

I am currently backupping heavy stuff to an external HDD connected via USB.

As soon as the backup is finished I'll detach the external HDD from the USB port and follow your advice

Edited by passacaglia, 22 December 2015 - 05:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users