Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer 11 two issues Not Responding & Long Running Scripts

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 leis

leis

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 05:28 PM

My system runs Win. 7 64 bit and I have reset the IE 11 browser, disabled all add ons except for the Adobe Flash and I continuously get the messages in the box at the bottom of screen where Program is not responding and the long running script prevents any further activity especially on a music site that I like to go to to listen to music and then the web page opens and the twirling circle causes such hang that it makes for some pretty dim music playing, to say the least. I don't run any extra tool bars or the like, to slow internet browsing and if anything, I like to know what I have running as far as any extra add ons that I don't use add ons and don't believe it's necessary.

If any helpful suggestions, I appreciate.
Please leave off suggestive of getting other browsers like Chrome or Firefox and stick more to my thread of fixing what I'm using now and as far as the get-this-insteads, that's not the topic. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 05:40 PM

My suggestion would be to first run something like Malwarebytes (malwarebytes.org) to see if you might have any infection.  If that comes back negative, I have found that doing a full uninstall/reinstall for Internet Explorer often solves issues like these.  Since you're on Windows 7 you can do this.  See this Microsoft Support page on uninstalling/reinstalling IE.

Having made an honest attempt to answer your question I would seriously encourage you to look at other browsers.  There are very good reasons that IE is disliked in the geek community that have nothing to do with a dislike for Microsoft.  Also, Microsoft is clearly ushering IE out over the long term and if they actually drop support for IE you don't want to be using an unsupported browser.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 leis

leis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 07:04 PM

Brian,

Thanks for your response and I will proceed with following your link in the reinstalling of the IE11.
Well, in the flip side of against other browser try-outs, what might you suggest as an alternative because I don't think this one's going to hold up for the experience I've had for the past couple of weeks and down the line, I'm sure you're spot on about changing anyway, to newer browsers and goes with the territory as they say.

leis

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,023 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 07:42 PM

My favorite for years now has been Firefox and I like Google Chrome equally well (and that's what I'm using as I post this).

Both are highly customizable and have huge libraries of extensions/add-ons.  At one time you couldn't get Adblock Plus for IE, but you can now.  I have Adblock Plus, Ghostery, and HTTPS Everywhere on both browsers and added Colorful Tabs to Firefox (it really helps me to have each tab have a different color) and like Lightbeam (which tells you who's sharing information with other sites about you) as well as a cookie manager.  On Chrome I have Edit this Cookie for cookie management and use Chromecast.

My preferred search engine is duckduckgo, which does not track your searching and I use it as the default search engine in both browsers.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 leis

leis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 07:52 PM

I  use Start Page and they do go off of Google's search but do not record the searches straight out like Google. Ixquick is also a search eng. of the same Start page w/out the search leads off Google.

That's quite an answer as to your set up and for the most part Firefox is what you are accustomed to? And let me ask, if Google Chrome is other browser, I mean, don't they just pluck right into the NSA database because I figure in their domain, or using anything straight off of them is like putting it right in to the Nsa themselves. That's why I was hesitant to go with that browser part or Chrome, that is, when I first heard of, etc....?

By the way I reinstalled the IE 11.

I saw on your specs. that you have AVG as AV, i used to have same but one of the guys on here showed me 360 Total Security and I've been running it for (well since my last help on here and that's probably going on a year) but it's decent AV and isn't too McAffee-fied at all or that is doesn't take over, etc...just thought I'd mention that in case you wanted or care to take a look at that specific AV.

Edited by leis, 19 December 2015 - 08:02 PM.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,023 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:46 PM

That's quite an answer as to your set up and for the most part Firefox is what you are accustomed to?

I can't say that anymore. I constantly have both Firefox and Chrome running. I segregate "the activities" that I do on each. I have BC, other tech forums, the Washington Post website, and my business gmail account always running under Chrome. I have my personal gmail account, some automobile related forums I participate in, the local weather forecast on my favorite weather website, and a couple other things always running under Firefox. It just works well for me.

And let me ask, if Google Chrome is other browser, I mean, don't they just pluck right into the NSA database because I figure in their domain, or using anything straight off of them is like putting it right in to the Nsa themselves. That's why I was hesitant to go with that browser part or Chrome, that is, when I first heard of, etc....?

I shall simply say that I have no idea why the urban legend of Google = NSA persists. Google has plenty enough motivation to collect data for their own business reasons, and so do others, too.

I use the synchronization feature on both Firefox and Chrome because I like having my bookmarks, browsing history, and the like follow me to whatever "guest machine" I might end up on. All I have to do is to log in to the browser itself, and remember to log out.

I am far less concerned with the companies that out and out state that they collect data, and most often tell you the nature of that data and what they use it for, than I am about entities that actually attempt to snoop/spy/steal without my knowledge or consent.

By the way I reinstalled the IE 11.

Did that resolve anything?

I saw on your specs. that you have AVG as AV, i used to have same but one of the guys on here showed me 360 Total Security and I've been running it for (well since my last help on here and that's probably going on a year) but it's decent AV and isn't too McAffee-fied at all or that is doesn't take over, etc...just thought I'd mention that in case you wanted or care to take a look at that specific AV.

That information is ancient. I use all sorts of AV products. This computer is protected by Windows Defender, others in the house have Panda Cloud Antivirus, AVG, and Microsoft Security Essentials. I've used Avast! as well. I've also never had one detect anything because I've developed pretty good "browsing hygiene" over the years. Most people get viruses (most, not all) because they can't resist clicking at virtually any "shiny thing" that shows up on their screens. When I'm browsing the web it's most often with a purpose, or wandering at random around the websites of reputable publications or entities. You don't tend to catch viruses from, say, the New York Times or the HP Support website.

#7 leis

leis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 02:26 AM

Very educational in just reading your reply. :) 
As far as reinstalling IE goes, I believe it has calmed down and I didn't have much positive in doing it, and I'm glad I got the tip from you, or the idea to do that as I was searching pretty heavy to come up with some new tries and you can kind of only go so far, but I was pretty set on that something must be driving it baddy (besides me), and so far so for now, I'll go with and see how it goes.

I instantly went on the site that I like to find music called beatports and I guess it's one of those that I just get kind of used to flipping on the page and waiting a few seconds until I can proceed in moving about and around because it loads slow and if getting to click-able ahead, it'll just cost more delay and some of the higher graphic sites I call 'em are like that. I have a pretty decent computer, and bought everything to build it and re-up'd the new hard drive and (used) cpu so, at least it's good for online activities. + I just got (October, actually) new web service with Time Warner on their least tier or subscription at 14.99 a month! That's not bad considering I'd paid 32 for DSL from dslextreme, and didn't notice until the end that I didn't have the fiber connection all along but really it was dsl and through AT&T's uverse. But well, TW's already outdone that and makes up for it for sure!

When you mentioned the Washington Post, that's pretty credible media. Is that where your other work is (BC) you said?

Thanks for your (fast) help too. :) I think I was at the right time/place today and I was pretty unhinged or that is, after searching about and around and finding it hard to sit and watch video or learning new procedures is always good but in this one, to simplify and get to it then here's Bleeper Computer that I should have done it sooner.

Ok, take care Brian and Merry Christmas by the way.

leis

Edited by leis, 20 December 2015 - 02:33 AM.

#8 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 03:00 PM

Since re-installing 10 I also have noticed IE 11 having stalls. having to reload the page and script errors.
For giggles in internet options I re-enabled the IE script debugger. Not that I really know how to use it. An interesting thing a lot of the times but not always the script is faulty from the very first line of the script and just can not finish loading.

Some one who does know may want to check that out. Altho if Ie 11 is not messing up for you it would be a wasted effort.

Also one thing of note on here internet options no longer has a spot to make IE 11 my default browser like it used to. May be an early start on the Edge engine taking the place of the IE 11 engine. I just do not know.

Another thing to note for me this only happens on IE11; Firefox and Opera I do not have this problem. So it must be browser specific.

Edited by dannyboy950, 20 December 2015 - 03:16 PM.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,023 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 03:11 PM

leis,

A very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours as well!!

I'm glad to hear that your cyber world is at least semi-sane again.

By the way, BC, when used here, is pretty much always presumed to be shorthand for "Bleeping Computer."  I was just mentioning that this was one of the "safe sites" that are on my frequently haunted list.

#10 leis

leis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 09:42 PM

Brian AKA  Bri the Tech Guy

...dahh on me in connection to BC and couldn't have been more obvious,
                                                                                     and is sort of like if on an episode of the Weakest Link game show-trivia question or something. :)

It is interesting to follow up on the IE 11 kind of oddity that you also mention from your own experience. Also, you mention Edge and that's what I've recently noticed and thought that that is the next (or new) replacing browser(?) and funny thing on your search engine DuckDuckGo, that also, from your reply yesterday, I'd never heard about and then, today, I saw article on that very search engine and showed what the search page looks like and's pretty cool.

So, i'll have to keep in touch since your 'in the know' and so  . . .  just joking and a little geeky, you know, with ducks and all.

Ok, well

But yeh,
                            Take Care, and Thanks for the 
Nice Christmasy

&     New Year greeting (too)**

Later,

Leis

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users