Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

asus winflash will not install

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 stasplayer

stasplayer

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 05:01 PM

Asus  notebook 1001pxd with Win 10. WInflash will not install. I get the "this is not an Asus notebook error. I did get the ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities to install using the compatibility procedure in Win 10. Where does the poor thing hide its identity?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 05:25 AM

Try running it as an Admin

Double check the model number of the system and see if that helps

Contact Asus support (maybe through their forums?) for help

Also, look in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Asus\WinFlash directory (when I install it at work it installs there).

FWIW - even after I go through all of this, I often get a message that the BIOS update isn't for the system I'm working on.

It's very frustrating!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 wfallon

wfallon

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 24 December 2015 - 09:16 AM

You do not need WinFlash.

Almost all PC\Laptop manufacturers use UEFI. It is much faster loading and much safer as far as updating.

The are a lot of computers out there that are now "bricks", because of people messing with BIOS updating with WinFlash, instead of letting Windows handle it.

Bill

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,519 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 10:39 AM

I agree with wfallon that you should not need Winflash if there is a BIOS update available from ASUS for this machine.  They normally come from ASUS such that they're a "fully flashable" package as is.

The 1001pxd (or at least most of them) predated UEFI.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2015 - 06:49 AM

Where do you get the fully flashable packages?

When I visit the Asus website for a particular model, it lists the BIOS and the BIOS Utilities - no installable packages for the BIOS

This is the page for the Asus S500CA:  https://www.asus.com/support/Download/3/494/0/1/GfgQhY3j06FcJgPW/36/

I have many problems with Asus and their BIOS/UEFI flashing at work.  I am eagerly looking for a way to make this process easier and more reliable for our technicians.

Edited by usasma, 25 December 2015 - 06:50 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,519 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2015 - 09:39 AM

usasma,

Happy Holidays!

In checking the webpage you refer to it appears that ASUS has split/does split its BIOS files out from it's flashing software.  I must have been recalling either my Dell or Toshiba, but one or the other didn't, you just downloaded the BIOS file from the site and it came as an executable that you ran and it flashed BIOS.  I've flashed a number of BIOSes over the years and my recall is that most of them in recent years came as a "bundled unit."

The above being said (and it being Christmas morning I'm too lazy to verify on my K50IJ) the BIOS system on ASUS laptops appears to have a BIOS flash utility called Easy Flash built in on the Advanced tab of the BIOS screen.  Scroll down a bit on this page to see their step-by-step example.

Brian

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:28 AM

Thanks!  I'll try that at work this morning (if we have an Asus in need of updating).

I've seen an Asus utility that works inside of Windows to update the BIOS - but haven't seen it recently.

Another problem that I face is that when you download one of the BIOS/UEFI updater packages is that we'll occasionally get errors that this package isn't for the system we downloaded it for (and it's checked by several techs)

We also find that after installing WinFlash, frequently (but not all the time) WinFlash will claim that the BIOS file is not for the machine we're working on (again, it's been checked by several techs).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users