Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extremely slow speed

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Windbrand

Windbrand

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 04:53 PM

Intermittently, I'm getting extremely slow wifi speed. Google would literally take a whole minute to open while this website took 3+ minutes to open. Sometimes Chrome would simply give up and throw the "DNS not responding" error after a minute or so. Sometimes it would last maybe only minutes, but sometimes up to a few hours, very annoying. The times it happen seems to be random but most often at night (like right now). Oddly enough, my work laptop does not have this problem, nor does my iPhone (both on same wifi), so it must be something with this laptop.

Here are my specs:

- Lenovo Ideapad Y510P laptop
- i7-4700 2.4GHz
- 8GM RAM
- Windows 8.1
- Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230

More from device manager:
eE5C2OU.png

Task manager, very low send/receive speed:
5rZTJWB.png

My signal strength is full at 6/6 bars and rarely drops. Restarting modem/router temporarily fixes the problem but within a day the problem will always come back. According to device manager my Intel Centrino 2230 is up to date.

Does anyone know what else I can do to fix this once and for all? Besides updating to Win 10 that is. I doubt that would even help and I have no short term plans to upgrade.

Edited by Windbrand, 19 December 2015 - 04:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:31 PM

In your router are you using WPA2 TKIP+AES? If so set it to AES only. Try changing the channel.

Edit: If it's set to WPA2 AES try the opposite and change it to WPA PSK-TKIP or WPA PSK-TKIP + WPA2 PSK-AES

Edited by technonymous, 21 December 2015 - 08:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users